Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing CJ rear crossmember

Several years ago, I bolted a tire carrier to my rear crossmember, and withing weeks, it was moving around so much, we laid 3 tack welds across the top of it, and welded it directly to the crossmember.

I pulled my tank, bumper and tire carrier, and decided it was time to repair the crossmember.

Looked like this:

Looking online, replacements are expensive. So, I built my own.

I used 1/4" thick angle iron, 3" X 2". I used a flat piece of iron that was 1/4" thick and 3" wide for a backing plate.

I cut and trimmed the angle iron to size, then drilled 4 holes (3 already in crossmember) across the rear face, and 3 holes on top. I decided to notch the angle iron around the body mounts, so I would not have to redo those.

I painted the 2 pieces of metal then bolted them in place

This shows the backing plate:

After bolting the bumper back into place, I have a total of 8 bolts between the front angle iron, and the backing plate, sandwiching the old crossmember. I have 3 bolts on top of the angle iron bolted to the top of the old crossmember.

I bought some brackets that will mount on the outside part of the rear crossmember, and the bolt directly to the frame. Those have not been installed yet, but are sitting right here.

Without those outside brackets, the rear crossmember does not move.

Thanks to Geebo who helped me out!

BTW, cost was very minimal.

$30 bought me enough angle and flat iron to make 2 of these. About $10 worth of new bolts. So, about $30 total for this.

Nice job. I hope my tire carrier does not tear up my rear cross member like that. But if it does Ill know what to do. My tire carrier is HEAVY. Sure does limit the bucking off road though.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

That's some nice work. I had the same problem. Thanks for posting this.
      Check out .

Comment

Nice work Stevo! Looks sturdy.
        That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

I tried to install the frame tie-in brackets, and they do not line up. Guess I'll be making my own. Quick response from the seller said to just send them back for a refund (minus s/h).

Comment

Cool Steve,

I love the Po' boy repairs!

Are you coming to the M & G? I'd like to see it. Or you can always come out my way and let's go wheeling. Remind me to show you how Sherif68 added tabs to my bumber so it's also bolted to the frame.
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Great idea and thanks for the pic's and post.
              Dennis
              Dennis and Tammy
              Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Working...
              X