Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warn Tire Carrier Modification

Howdy,

Just wanted everyone to pass along the "unofficial/bootleg" writeup on my Warn Tire Carrier modification. I must give my buddy Dave K., aka tonkaDave, credit for the plans and welding, again I was delegated to shop "boy" duties.

This is one way to get around the biggest problem with the Warn carrier - no options to mount accessories.

Overall, this is a real easy mod that can be done in about two hours and access to a welder is a must. Here is a required material listing, but due to your visions and items on hand, yours might be different:

• 3 feet of 1 ¾ square tubing
    • 2 each 3” ¾ bolts
    • 2 each ¾ wing nuts
    • 2 each ¾ washers
    • 1 foot of ½ square tubing
    • Gas can holder
    • Scrap sheet metal (for gussets)

Step 1. The first thing that you will need to figure is what you want to accomplish. I wanted to mount a Hi-Lift and a gas can holder. These goals are important because it will determine how far you extend the tire mount out from the body. This extension is required because it free room to add “modifications” to the body (the body of the tire carrier, not actual Jeep body).

I mounted my Hi-Lift on the bottom of the swing frame running parallel to the bumper. I’m sure there are other mounting possibilities. Just ensure that it does not prevent the carrier from swinging or prohibiting access to the rear of the Jeep. My gas can holder was placed on the upper-right of the carrier frame, above the Hi-Lift jack.

Step 2. Careful measurements are required to ensure that all modifications do not prevent the freedom of swing from the swing-out portion of the carrier. The biggest obstacle is clearing a path so it does not bang into the passenger side taillight.

The second critical measurement is how far you will extend the spare tire to make room for your mods. The extension barely clears the largest modification, the gas can holder. We wanted to minimize the extension to allow the most rearward departure angle and prevent additional stress on the carrier.

Step 3. After your plan has been established, now it is time to remove the powdercoating from the areas that will be welded. I removed the spare tire and the mounting plate and tubing. The tire mounting plate will need to be grinded off. The mount will be reused later as we weld it to a new “extended” tube. I used a hand grinder to scuff up the areas that would be welded upon. These areas are the bolt areas for the Hi-Lift and the areas for the gas can holder bracket.

Step 4. A friend helps in holding the bolts in place for tack welding. Tacking will allow the Hi-Lift to be briefly mounted to verify placement and check freedom of swing. After verification, place a solid bead on the tacks. I grinded the edges of washers to help the wing nuts keep torque on the Hi-Lift and help minimize rattle. I later added “cut to size” shackle bushings to absorb any rattles and to gain a little clearance for the handle.

The wing nuts are not a must, but do allow for quick access. However, you might want to add a security device to prevent thieves from easily removing your Hi-Lift.

Step 5. Weld the gas can holder bracket. Your plans are limited too your imagination and materials available. I used tubing to make an extension off the frame and supported it with a smaller piece of tubing, then added tabs and gussets to create a stable platform for the can holder. The holder was secured to the tabs using bolts.

Step 6. Remove the tire mounting plate from the original tube. I started to grind it off, but later broke out the sawzall. Ensure your grinds and cuts do not damage the plate. Once the tube is removed, smooth out the surface and weld the new extended tube onto the plate.

Step 7. Clean up, paint, and enjoy the mods.

I now have a safe and secured location for my Hi-Lift. My gas can holder now allows me to carry extra gas and both modifications still allow my carrier to swing freely to gain access to the tailgate and rear of the Jeep. There seems to be no affect on the bumper or any other component by extending the heavy spare tire out further from the bumper. I am worried about the weight bending or warping the system in the future, so I will monitor it.

Some post modification pics:

Thanks again to tonkadave and email me for further questions or pics.

JC
    Last edited by jccj7; 02-22-04, 10:14 PM.
    '78 CJ-7, 304, Scout Dana 44s w/ a Detroit in the rear, T-150 w/ Dana 20, 4" Skyjacker susp and 2" body lift, 33" MT/Rs, Warn XD8000i, and others.

'97 XJ, 4.0L, Dana 30 w/ Truetrac, Chrysler 8.25 w

Looks awesome John! A great writeup and the pics look awesome.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Looks great man ! My concern with this setup is the weight of the tire being supported soley by the mount . I like to fit my carrier so the tire is firm against the carrier ( basically the tire is drawn into the carrier ) This eliminates the bouncing and stress on the Mount . The warn bumper is a nice one but is a stamped Part not a Tube , could you tell us a little about the swingout pivot point ?

Comment

jim, thanks for the comments. I have the same concerns, but tonkadave put a thick bead between the tire mount and square tubing. There's also a gusset that supports almost half of the extension that holds the spare tire (the real dark area above the Hi-Lift in the second photo).

There is no noticable rattling and bounce at this time.

JC
        '78 CJ-7, 304, Scout Dana 44s w/ a Detroit in the rear, T-150 w/ Dana 20, 4" Skyjacker susp and 2" body lift, 33" MT/Rs, Warn XD8000i, and others.

Comment

forgot to add these photos. Not sure what you exactrly mean by the swingout pivot point, but I think I'm saying the point where the tire carrier frame rotates/swings on the bumper.

Comment

Originally posted by jccj7
            forgot to add these photos. Not sure what you exactrly mean by the swingout pivot point, but I think I'm saying the point where the tire carrier frame rotates/swings on the bumper.
            I think he means the Hinge. I'm interested in that as well.
            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

The hinge was left alone. No adjustments or alterations were done. Seems like the additional weight has affected the "swing". However, I don't leave it completely opened for long to prevent possible warping.

JC

Comment

Are you from TN.?

Comment

God's Country? Sort of...some of my family lived there and I claimed it as my home of record while in the military so I don't have to pay state taxes.

Lovely country....family lived between Nashville and Chatanooga.

JC

Comment

I give it two thumbs up.
                    Nice modification.
                    AriZonaTJ

======================
                    0[_____]0
                    .(0IIII0). - 98 TJ, 3"Tera,33" M/Ts
                    []===0=[]
                    ======================

Comment

Arizona,

Thanks for the compliments! More pictures are here...clicky

Thanks Sarah for taking the time to edit and format.

JC

Comment

Working...
                      X