Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire carrier

well i finally got my tire carrier built. here are some pics... 2x2 3/16 tubing, AtoZ spindle.

Last edited by brokenujoint; 04-12-09, 02:58 PM.
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Looks really good, still have not done one myself, maybe soon.

Comment

Pretty sweet!!

Comment

Kevin,

Looking good! I wish I could Fab my own stuff.

Mitch

Comment

Good job. I like how it lines up with the bumpstops on the tailgait.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

that was my main interest. i had made a carrier in the past (several years ago) with a rockstomper spindle. after 2 medium difficulty runs it snapped clean off. this time i rosette welded the spindle with a sleeve then welded the sleeve to the bumper. not the spindle. that helped with not allowing it to overheat causing embrittlement. the lower main tubing was offset slightly to fit closer to the body of the jeep. i wanted it to sit as close to the tail gate and stops as posssible. i still need to get what little vibration from the carrier out taken care of, but its holding up very well.

Comment

I have seen people stack bump-stops and there is even a company that sell extended bump-stops for $15(I think). That might cure your vibration.
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

The rubber stoppers do not do all that much for rattling it's how you latch it, that pretty much takes care of the rattling. There are a lot of different ways that gets done. I used the spindle with sleeve from a to z fab also I think it's the better way to go and not all that expensive. He also has very good customer service. He forgot to send one part on my order and next day aired it to me the next day at no cost. You cannot complain about that.
                A lot of peeps angle the de staco ckamp to keep rattling down I made like a mouth that is slightly tapered so it locks pretty solid once its latched still quiet after 2 years

Comment

i have minimal vibration. suprisingly low actually. but i dont want any. i plan on using a 2 inch wide plate across a few of the bolt sections on the tailgate and welding up two pieces of small L brackets. one on the tailgate and one on the carrier. drilling a hole through them and using a pin to simply keep it held nice and tight. its simple and it will do just fine.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Looks great! That design is similar to what I've had in mind. I think it's potentially more functional than the triangle design--you could bolt your Hi-Lift across the top, for instance. Wow, now I see this post is almost a month old... any progress on the vibrations? I was thinking of using poly bushed sleeves and a long pin for the latch...
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

That looks good! Well thought out and nice and tight against the body. I've seen some that look good until you see that they are two or three inches away from the little rubber bumpers on the tailgate and they wonder why they rattle.....
                        Money pit!

Comment

Do you ever catch yourself on the air-chuck? I have been thinking about something like that, but am afraid that I will knock it off.....
                          Money pit!

Comment

not at all. actually the only reason i used it there is because yrs ago i had the tomken system tire carrier. you have to drill where that chuck is and use this stupid latch support for the lame design of the carrier. when i threw it in the trash after a few yrs of usage i still had a hole.... good use of a hole i guess.

Comment

Looks real good.
                              But keep a close eye on your spindle...If you welded it into the bumper tube just under the bearing,it can and most likely will snap off over time if the carrier flexes front to back very much.
                              Ask me I know,had 3 of them snap off just above the welds. I tryed welding them with MIG and TIG. The spindle needs to be mounted with a double shear mount to be safe. Just a heads up,hate to see it fall off going down the hiway.
                              Don.

Comment

Working...
                              X