Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New way to keep CB Hidden/safe?

I hear about CB's getting stolen all the time. I was wonder how you guys made your CB safe inside your Jeep (other than the tuffy consoles / overhead boxes.)

I cane up with this idea a few days ago. Its not the safest, but you wouldent be able to tell where it was unless you already saw it.

Between the right of the stearing column and the left of the stereo, there is a good bit of room behind the dash. You could have the CB on a small track, or a little swing-out thing that would shove up underneath there. It would be invisible unless you already knew where it was or looked up underneath dash. It would also keep it out of the way. All you would have to do it swing it down when you need it, and swing it back up when you are using it.

Other than that I'm really not sure where to put it.

I'm sure the above idea wouldent be too hard, just someone would have to know how to make it which shouldent be terably hard.

A few hinges and a bracket to connect it to the hinges is all you would need. Its actualy an awesome idea now that I think about it. Might have to try something out one I found a CB to buy (dont have 1 yet).
    95 YJ
    Stock 4banger
    31" Perelli ATV's

i have a cobra model 75WXST, which has most of the electronics contained in the handset. there's a small bos that goes behind the dash that attaches to the antenna and power, then the handset just plugs in. you disconnect the handset and bring it inside with you, and the interior of the Jeep looks like it's stock. Might also want to get a quick-disconnect antenna mount too

Last edited by cbremer; 02-13-04, 05:42 PM.

Comment

I have my cb mounted to a RC car deans connector.And I can disconect it and undo the hand screws by hand and just put the cb away somewhere in my house.

Comment

Mine is locked up in a overhead console....until I build the roll cage, then I have to come up with something else.
        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I stuck mine in the Tuffy center console where a stereo would normally go. I already had a detachable face cd player installed where a standard stereo goes so the space in the Tuffy was empty.

It turned out great, it's secured in the console from would-be thieves and it's easy to get to when i need it yet out of the way when i don't.
          [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
          AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
          15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
          33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
          FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
          Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
          RE Hand Throttle
          Optima Red Top
          K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

Hardtop and tinted windows.

Comment

We use a hand-held with a 48" whip mounted on the rack. When we park we just disconnect the antenna cable and bring the unit with us. You can't steal what isn't there
              It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
              and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Bob the overhead console

Originally posted by goodtimes
                Mine is locked up in a overhead console....until I build the roll cage, then I have to come up with something else.
                No need to get rid of the Tuffy overhead console. You can merely bob the extra length off the rear and bolt or weld the back plate on.

Photo to follow
                Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Unfortunately, with 2 radio's mounted in mine (CB and a 2 meter), the length required is too much. It would put the rear mounted radio so far back (in relation to the drivers seat) that it is about useless. Even now, it is so far back that I have to adjust everything by brail.

If I can get it out of there without destroying it (I have some problems to overcome with the console), I will hopefully sell it to help pay for some other mod.

I already have a idea of how I want to mount the radios when I do the cage, and it will work better for me.

Pics will follow some time.....next year maybe. All depends on when I can afford the tube bender.

KG6OWO

Comment

I unhook mine and take it with me. I even have a bag for it. BlkTJ did the install for me.

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
                      Unfortunately, with 2 radio's mounted in mine (CB and a 2 meter), the length required is too much. It would put the rear mounted radio so far back (in relation to the drivers seat) that it is about useless.
                      Which 2M? I am contemplating the Kenwood TM-D700A vs. Icom 706 and simpling mounting the faceplate on the crossbar and house the radio in the far back.

Haven't been able to find an 11M that has a detachable faceplate (except a Midland and that was just as a "security feature") unless of course you consider the Icom 706 ...shhhh.

Heh, I guess it would just be cheaper to get a new console rather than get a HF rig
                      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                      2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
                        Which 2M? ...
                        Icom v-8000

KG6OWO

Comment

Working...
                        X