Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hand throtle,just an idea...

iv'e done this before on my old s10. My Tj has cruise control. so all i have to do is unhook the cruise con. cable, buy new bike brake cable and a small lever, put the lever in a confortable position on the shift "stick"... i guess you'd call it. run the cable from the cruise bracket to to lever. bam.... hand throtle. Just wondering if anyone has done this mode before on there jeep and how they liked it?
    Chrome don't get you home...

I think a lot of people have done this one. Myself included:
    http://jeep.matandtiff.com/projects/hand-throttle/
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

irwinwheeler... i have cruise and want to do this can you be more detailed...

Comment

RE sells a "kit" to do this with instructions. It is nothing more than a good quality bike gear shifter that you mount to your stick shift in the cab, run the cable though the fire wall to the throttle. I attached it to the throttle with a couple of wire crimps. It's about a 30 minute install.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce p View Post
          RE sells a "kit" to do this with instructions. It is nothing more than a good quality bike gear shifter that you mount to your stick shift in the cab, run the cable though the fire wall to the throttle. I attached it to the throttle with a couple of wire crimps. It's about a 30 minute install.
          Yup its an RE1000

Not too bad for $30. Im pretty sure you could probably find it for less somewhere else.

I had a buddy with it on his CJ and on his LJ and he loved it, always used it.
          |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

I tried saving a buck or three by building the kit from a bike shop... Maybe it's the expensive bike shops on PCH, but mine was more than the $30 of the RE kit. I'd recommend buying that kit to anybody interested in this mod.

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
              I tried saving a buck or three by building the kit from a bike shop... Maybe it's the expensive bike shops on PCH, but mine was more than the $30 of the RE kit. I'd recommend buying that kit to anybody interested in this mod.
              See, that's what you get for living in that high rent district down there.

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                I went to that same bike shop yesterday and bought my stuff for $20. My lever and able were one piece for 8.99. The guy who owns that place is awesome. He really knows his bikes. He can tell you all about real Shwinns from Chicago. He told me while I was in there that he was on the first tandem bike to go down Coyote Canyon
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                  I went to that same bike shop yesterday and bought my stuff for $20. My lever and able were one piece for 8.99. The guy who owns that place is awesome. He really knows his bikes. He can tell you all about real Shwinns from Chicago. He told me while I was in there that he was on the first tandem bike to go down Coyote Canyon
                  Which shop? There's about 5 in O'side on PCH. I went to the one near Adventure 16 I think...

Comment

Your write up said you went to Pacific Coast Cycles. The one right on Coast Hwy and Vista Way. I’ve bought a lot of stuff from him. Allen’s used to be the only place in town you could get quality BMX parts but they are ALL beach cruisers now.
                    Those left standing
                    Will make millions
                    Writing books on ways
                    It should have been
                    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                      Your write up said you went to Pacific Coast Cycles. The one right on Coast Hwy and Vista Way. I’ve bought a lot of stuff from him. Allen’s used to be the only place in town you could get quality BMX parts but they are ALL beach cruisers now.
                      Well, if you went to the same place and got everything much cheaper, I'll never be going back....

Granted, I was trying to make sure I had enough length so I didn't have to buy everything twice. I ended up with about 3 feet extra of the outer brake cable sleeve (a few bucks) and I bought the brake cable for a tandem bike to make sure I had enough length there too... I also had about 3 feet extra on that also. I probably could have kept the total much closer to $20 had done some measuring before-hand using twine or something.

Comment

The important thing is I bought DIFFERENT parts then you did. I bought a cheaper shifter lever that included the steal cable. If I knew exactly how much housing I needed I could have saved another dollar or two. So its possible that you could do this mod for $16-$17.
                        Those left standing
                        Will make millions
                        Writing books on ways
                        It should have been
                        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                        X