Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roger's Cj Bumper

Thought I would post this little build, plus Roger suggested it. Roger did not have a decent rear bumper and I have never built one but wanted to, 2+2 = bumper build. It will go in stages as Roger's jeep is 50 miles away, doing the basics over the phone with Roger. My garage tools are rudimentary so any suggestions might not be doable but will take them. So here we go.....

Nice start on your bumper. Do you already have plans for the tire/ trail rack and recovery points?

Comment

I want to put two shackle tabs through the bumper but am at odds with the cut-out, no plasma cutter. The receiver part is covered, going to put it on the bottom, 2x2 cut out from bottom that is. We are not going to put a tire rack on it, at least not yet. I made a basket for mine and took it off, going to attach it to his tailgate (light duty).

Comment

We'll post a picture of the rear of my Cj for a "before & after" journal.

Yes, Jim's adding a rack also.

We're working ou the design for recovery points. It may initially be a D-ring tube in the hitch receiver.

Hey Jim, it's looking good already! See you Saturday at "Jim's Fab Shop"!
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Got a little more done, capped other side, receiver cut out and safety chain plate cut.

Comment

Originally posted by scherf68 View Post
            I want to put two shackle tabs through the bumper but am at odds with the cut-out, no plasma cutter. The receiver part is covered, going to put it on the bottom, 2x2 cut out from bottom that is. We are not going to put a tire rack on it, at least not yet. I made a basket for mine and took it off, going to attach it to his tailgate (light duty).

Mark the location if the tabs on the bumper, drill holes in the corners of your drawing and jig saw between the holes.
            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Dukes, I have a sawzal but way to big, have not got a jig saw yet, well have cheap skil that wouldn't work. I did go to Lowe's and look today, just sure what size I need, in amps that is and on the cheap.

Comment

I just bought a Bosch 5 amp from home depot. I think it was like $100. Works really well for brackets and such.
                [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I drilled the corners then used cut off wheels on my 4" angle grinder to cut the slots. It makes a nice surgical cut with tight tolorences.

Comment

Finished up today, painted and installed...next time I will have to let it cool between welds at the receiver area, bowed very slightly. Overall cost for new metal came at just 60.00 dollars, the rest was scrap laying around.

Before photo..

and the progress..

And after....

Comment

Jim,

I can't thank you and your lovely fiance Susan for such a great day. Dude, you are awesome! I'll figure out a way to pay you back!
                      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                      MJR moderator
                      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

the local hardware store has carbon blades for the average 7 1/4 circular saw. Worm drive works best but just don't force it, let the blade cut.

Nice work
                        1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Your welcome Roger and thanks Davis. This was my 4th project and it was fun to build, wish I had a plasma cutter though. Down the road we will add things to it, got a buddy making some 3/4 inch thick shackle tabs. Here is a better befor and after photo.

Comment

Looks good, isn't it fun to built Jeep stuff?

Comment

Working...
                            X