Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIG Welder Recommendation?

I have very little experience and only 110 power in the garage. What's a good welder to start with? i hear mixed stuff on the HF one. Sears has a nice Craftsman and a small Lincoln for under $300. Are those any good?

I would skip the harbor freight one.
    Look for one that is not just a flux wire welder.
    I prefer to weld with regular wire and a CO mix gas bottle

Comment

skip HF and 110

Wait save only a few bucks more and get a Lincoln 220v mig. You can get them at Lowes for a great price. I used mine to build everything up until recently,
      Head nut at Outdoorlogic
      Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
      www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

I used a Snap On 110v Mig welder for 15 years with great results. Recently I bought a Miller 250 Mig Welder........ I also recently purchased a new tubing bender... Now I am really happy.....

Brett
        offroadwerkz.com
        (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

If you plan on welding thick plate or tube I would step up to a good 220 machine otherwise get a Miller or Lincon 110 with as much power you can and make sure it has the gas hook up! just my .02
          Its no fun without family

Comment

Originally posted by bruce p View Post
            I have very little experience and only 110 power in the garage. What's a good welder to start with? i hear mixed stuff on the HF one. Sears has a nice Craftsman and a small Lincoln for under $300. Are those any good?
            HF sells Hobart welders which are Miller in a different color. I agree that you should save up for a 220v. The 110v are more for work around the house IMO. You start welding 3/16th are larger you'll want a 220v.
            Check out .

Comment

:thumbs_up http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/t...second&id=1050
              or
              http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/t...second&id=1618

Id keep an eye out here, these guys are always selling their stuff (usually for a good $$)
              Its no fun without family

Comment

do you have a electric dryer in the garage? that would give you 220V if you don't I can set you up with a 220V run in the garage, sometime next year :wink:
                :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

cal welding supply on main street in Riverside carries miller and hobart (basicly same machines) and can set you up. I agree about the 220 volt if you are going do anything thick. basicly a good 110 unit does up to 3/16 and can be bought for around 4 and a half. beware of most used 110 units, they have been driven way past the duty cycle and are usually just a repair bill being bought for what looks like a bargin.
                  Have Smackos, will travel

Comment

As much as I wish that I had a 220 machine, I don't. No 220 in the garage without running new service to the house. As a result, I use a Lincoln 135 (a 110 machine) with mixed gas. It really is a great machine (I have had many tell me that it is the better of the 110 macines vs. Miller - not something I can verify). I regulary weld 3/16th and even 1/4 inch plate with very satisfactory results. I will admit, it takes more prep, grinding and mulitple passes to do this effectively........but it can be done. For a good solid welder at home, a 110 machine will work well. If you are really going to do a lot of fab work, get a 220 machine!

That being said, we did just build the body, truck bed, gas tank, bimini top and several other parts of a 1929 Ford Model A with a 110 machine.
                    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

In my novice opinion, anything less than a 220 machine will be a waste for offroading applications. If you want to fab stuff 1/8" or thicker, don't waste your time with anything less.

Seems that Lincoln's hobbyist machines are the best deal in that class.

I've got a Lincoln HD 175, and it works pretty good--about $500.00 on ebay. I welded up my rollcage with it, and after a real world test a couple of weeks ago, the welds held great (thank God!). My roll cage is made of .120 and .125 GA DOM tubing (mild steel), the latter of which is 1/8". For such a critical application, I wouldn't even consider a 110 machine, or for that matter, anything less than what I have. Even moreso with my steering (.250 or 1/4" DOM).

As for the 220, I paid a local electrician $200 to hook it up.
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

My garage didn't have 220 in it, but ALL houses already have 220 running to them. I put a 220 breaker in the breaker box and wired the garage for 220. It was very easy and cost under $100.
                        I have a miller 230. I've had it for years and I have run many many spools of wire through it. It cost me just under $1000 new with a cart, bottle for the gas, tips and gun..ready to go. I have welded 1" plate with it when I was making a press and I have never hit the duty cycle.
                        I like my welder. They don't sell the 230 anymore, but the 250 is almost the exact same thing.
                        It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

now that everyone has debated 110 or 240
                          ( I use a Hobart 140, it is a 110 machine, works great but I will admit a 220 would be faster)
                          I guess you can see that most guys here are using Miller, Lincoln or Hobart. And I would suggest those brands, most off brands do not seem to hold up as good as these do, yes there are exceptions, also these brands have a lot of places to take them for repairs.
                          Duty cycle is another thing to look at some of the cheaper brands have extremely short duty cycle and yo can burn them up quick.
                          censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR View Post
                            now that everyone has debated 110 or 240
                            ( I use a Hobart 140, it is a 110 machine, works great but I will admit a 220 would be faster)
                            I guess you can see that most guys here are using Miller, Lincoln or Hobart. And I would suggest those brands, most off brands do not seem to hold up as good as these do, yes there are exceptions, also these brands have a lot of places to take them for repairs.
                            Duty cycle is another thing to look at some of the cheaper brands have extremely short duty cycle and yo can burn them up quick.
                            Yes, a 220 volt machine would be nice. I have an old Hobart Handler 135 (second hand for $200!) that just keeps on welding! With that being said, I've welded 3/16 steel with out any problems.
                            Buy a name brand welder, and use the non-flux core wire and gas for cleaner welds. Enjoy!
                            Money pit!

Comment

I would also recommend taking a welding class at your local adult education school or junior college.
                              Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X