• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmmm, its about time!!!

[COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

no kidding -- good luck with that big ol' thing!!!
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Very nice welder! I am trying to get my first welder too. I have a ReadyWelder spool gun and I am looking for a cheap old lawnmower and old alternator to cobble together a DC power source for it.

Not as slick as your set up though!

PS. Do you really need that many lunchbox coolers in your garage?
      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
      2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Whooo Hooo! Chris is open for business...well, not quite...but getting there!

Sleek machine! Congrats Chris!

Comment

Tom would like to know how much you would charge for skid plates? Like Gas Tank skid?

congrats!!!
          1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
          Glad to be back in California!

Comment

Nice! But if you would have bought a Miller, you could have just driven over to Downey and picked it up the day your ordered it.

Besides, blue is better.
            olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I KNEW that hoist would come in handy for something

Chris is learning how to be an electrician tonight...hes almost done wiring the garage with 220 and some extra 110 outlets. Tomorrow we try not to electricute ourselves, (Ive already done it once, at the circuit breaker ) and rearrange my breakerbox, hook up the new circuit breakers...(Chris kept telling me dont touch this, dont touch that....then ZAPPPPppp...hehhehehe....yup, I touched it ... Im just stubborn that way ) Lucky my hairs already curly

Tomorrow we shall weld

Tam
              2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
              Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

WAIT!!!!!

Tam and Chris!!!! I don't know how much experience either of you have with electricity, but listen for just a minute. I'm not a expert on it myself (although I do work with the stuff). If you don't know what you are doing, don't try to "figure it out". Get help (even if it is a "how to" book from the local hardware store). The 220 will kill you. It is no joke. It can also start fires. Fires that will not be covered by your homeowners insurance if the wiring is not permitted and inspected.

But if you have the basic electrical knowledge, just remember that in the garage you must use GFCI protected outlets. Also don't forget the nail plates if you go through any studs (I have stories about what happens when you don't use them). And PLEASE make sure you hook the ground up properly (and don't use plugs with the ground lug missing--you can get injured or killed if the tool shorts out).

Ok, enough acting like a old fart....have fun!

KG6OWO

Comment

Nice welder.Some day I shall learn to weld....

Comment

Melting metal together is fun! If you want to learn, sign-up for a class or two at your local community college. The courses are cheap, and it will get you on your way to fabricating all kinds of cool stuff for your rig...

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal
                      I KNEW that hoist would come in handy for something

Chris is learning how to be an electrician tonight...hes almost done wiring the garage with 220 and some extra 110 outlets. Tomorrow we try not to electricute ourselves, (Ive already done it once, at the circuit breaker ) and rearrange my breakerbox, hook up the new circuit breakers...(Chris kept telling me dont touch this, dont touch that....then ZAPPPPppp...hehhehehe....yup, I touched it ... Im just stubborn that way ) Lucky my hairs already curly

Tomorrow we shall weld

Tam
                      BE CAREFUL! i told you i'd help you! CHRIST! you cant just throw your hands inside that pannel, and flail around! there are rules to this stuff.
                      are you familiar with handburger?:confused:
                      what guage wire did you get for the welder, and how long is it?
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal
                        you never cease to amaze me ... FCOL be careful! give rick a call if you need to -- his # is in his profile i think -- he's been thru this before and can probably give you any on-the-spot advice you might need. i know you knew that, i'm just reminding you!
                        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Im ok...it was just a little jolt

Chris is getting alot of help, not only from Erik, but from the guy down at Home Depot. Looks like weve got it under control. Were putting it on the exterior of the walls, so no need for nailing plates. And as far as I know, we were planning on the gfci outlets. At least the first one in the line.

Thanks for caring

Tam
                          Last edited by JeepGal; 01-28-04, 11:53 AM.
                          2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                          Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Caring? You bet. I winced when I heard you got jolted. Listen to Chris, dear.

I am just wondering which part of the house is going to react when Chris welds. You might want to check on better protection than a surge protector for the computers. A lowered power, surges and spikes could fry the electronics. Anything you don't want messed with when the welder cranks up needs to go on heavy duty protection. I can't for the life of me remember what the thing was that computers should be plugged into....heard about it while driving back from your place last time....jmbrowning, help!

Anyway, remember when we had the thread about how you can tell the guys are in the garage welding? Go back and read it. I may be wrong because things have changed, but you might only be able to draw just so much at a time.

Just my amateur 2 cents.

And be careful...I want to go on many more runs with you and Chris...

Comment

Tammy, how big is your service? 100amps? 150 amps? or 200 amps? If it is less than 200 amps, you might consider shedding some load before you start welding (turn off everything not in use). And please don't forget that it really should be permitted. If it isn't, and somethign happens that causes a fire, your homeowners insurance won't have to pay for your house. It is something to consider. I haven't started welding yet because I am waiting for all the paperwork to get filed for my electrical work (I'm lazy, so I haven't filed it yet).

KG6OWO

Comment

Working...
                              X