Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new trailer

Well I got an old utiity trailer from a buddy and that's where the adventure began.

Thre are a bunch (2 before, 5 after) of photos here The page with the trailer
    Last edited by HIGLET; 01-09-04, 02:26 PM.
    Sean M Higgins

"We all got it coming kid"

I guess you dont need the tires anymore?

Looks good!
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I couldn't hold my breath anymore :-)
      Sean M Higgins

Comment

I'm planning on using this to bring out firewood etc for TDS. So if anyone has anything REASONABLE they would like to have me bring let me know.
        Sean M Higgins

Comment

Very interesting project. I am in the midst of planning a little trailer project myself. Just a few questions.

1) Are the axles straight or offset?
          2) Leaf sprung vs. Rubber Torsion
          3) if leaf, SOA vs. SUA
          4) how much drop did you need from the receiver hitch to the ball to get everything to be level? Looks pretty level in the posted photo.

Thanks in advance
          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
          2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

It has rubber torsion.

I would have preferred leaf but this is what it came with. I would use sping over.

It's a 2" drop hitch. That was what I had. This is the smallest drop I could use and not have ALOT of problems with locking the ball in. Sometimes depending on position of the 2 when hooking up I have to open the tailgate to get it on there and lock it. It's that procedure that causes the trouble. I could solve that by getting a longer hitch, or switching it over to pintle, but why bother.

I don't know what you mean by straight or offset. The axle stubs are offset from the actual axle housing, but I believe that is the way the rubber torsion works.

It also has no brakes, but I don't plan on carrying alot of weight, so I'm not concerned.

I got this and basically rebuilt it. If I had known what a heap it was before I got it I would have started from scratch and built a new one. Realistically it would have only cost about $50 -$100 more.

This spring I am building a small Jeep trailer to use for camping and on the trails, that one will be much better.
            Sean M Higgins

Comment

Sean, you might find the below interesting. It's capacity might be a little low for your needs.

Northern Tool 2000# axle kit on sale
              Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
              2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

This is the one I was looking at

The one you chose is 4 on 4 not 5 on 4.5 that's hub kit 12411 which comes with 5 on 4.5

The only thing about these axles is the track width. It's 60" I want more like 48" with 36 center to center on the springs.

Redneck Trailer Supplies has different axles but I haven't really delved into it yet to see if the smaller width is worth the price.
                Sean M Higgins

Comment

Sean, do you live off of Royal Ave.?

Comment

No I live off of First on Agnew. The Jeep dealer is right behind my house Sadly they are such shit holes I would never go there.

Stop by say hi!

Uh to me not the Jeep dealer.
                    Sean M Higgins

Comment

I know right where your at!

Comment

Working...
                      X