Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howell TBI

Just got my Howell TBI delivered! Can't wait for a chance to install. Probably gonna start on it Monday.

Just had to get that off my chest.

Sar Jeeper...Congrat,s.on your Howel .get er done so we can RUN!!!!LOL.. Geebo
    "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Steve,

I just had a Howell injection installed on my 88YJ. What a difference! Smooth responsive throttle, no more hesitation, no stalling on slow downhills. The 88'YJ had tons of smog junk so hopefully yours will be easier than mine. Good luck

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by Geebo View Post
        Sar Jeeper...Congrat,s.on your Howel .get er done so we can RUN!!!!LOL.. Geebo

Come by tomorrow (Monday). I'll help you break off your 3rd brake light!

Comment

She's been installed and now running!!!

I've been itching for TBI for a long time. I can relax about smog for now! I no longer have to worry about restarting that carb, at funny angles.

How the install went:
          Pretty smooth. I ran into a very few problems, but nothing to do with Howell's kit.

Problem #1 was the carburator stud into the manifold was rusted in place. Even an hour soaking in PB Blaster did no good. I stripped it, doing the double nut removal method. Sat down for a minute, then grabbed a pipe wrench. Got it out.

Problem #2 was removal of the old computer harness. Mine was such a hack job by previous owners, AND myself. I followed each wire from the computer connections, and removed them one at a time. Time consuming, but kept me from cutting the wrong ones!

Problem #3 was getting power. Has to be on during start and run. Followed links to a photo of a harness behind steering colum, and tapped into that wire. Didn't work. No power during cranking. It described a thick red wire with a white trace. This connection had 3 of them. So, I tapped into #2, and it was the correct one. I made it "easier" on myself by removing my dash.

Now for some photo's:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

JUNK REMOVED: (now for sale!)

TBI Unit:

Vehicle Speed Sensor:

Fuel Pump and Filter:

New Computer with Fuse Box and Reader velcro'd to computer:

Total cost shipped to my door with K&N Filter was $1420. Was it worth it!? I'll tell you after wheeling it! One thing I can say, throttle response is INSTANT. No more chug chug rrmrmmmmmm how it use to be! It's also pretty cool to just reach into the Jeep and start it up, as opposed to have to sit there and pump the gas to get it started!

I had to remove the upstream and downstream pulse air injection system, so I have to take it to a muffler shop to have the them welded shut.

Total hours spent on the install was about 5 hours.

Comment

Hey Steve,

You'll love the difference the Howell makes. Your pictures are the same shots that I took but forgot how to post. I think my pile of vacuum hoses, smog junk, etc might even be larger. We even had to weld a plug in the exhaust where the temp sensor was. Good job / Have fun!!!

Mitch

Comment

How do you get that by smog??
              The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

The JP1 kit, which mine is, is smog legal in all 50 states. It comes with a CARB EO#, new sticker for vacuum diagram, timing, idle, etc. The kit is sold by Howell. You could junkyard the kit for a lot less, but only Howell's has the EO# (So does the Mopar Kit, but that costs too much $$$) Basically, everything is from an 88-91 GM Truck with a 4.3l V6.

Comment

I figured it would have to be somewhat smogable, thanks for the update, let us know how it works, i have a friend that wants to do that to his 88 4.2
                  The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Dan,

Tell your friend that this kit works great on my 1988 4.2 YJ. And the kit is smog legal with the open side K & N filter assy! The kit comes with all info and I verified this at a local smog test facility after installation.

Comment

Working...
                    X