Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well thats a lot to take in im running 34 ltb intercos i would say moderate wheelin is what i usualy do i have the youkon 27 spline stronger alloy shafts now they were about 200 dollars im also locked i guess il run it till it breaks but it sound like they arnt as weak as some say just not the strongest thanks for all the input tthanks again razor
    :gun:im a outlaw baby:gun:

Comment

You can certainly run a D35 with 33's as long as you drive with some finesse and control, going easy on the gas.

If you go one step further and truss the axle housing, youre much safer, and you wont have to worry about bending the housing. If you do break a shaft, it'd be a cheap and easy replacement, but since youre already running alloy shafts, thats even more unlikely.

Tam
      2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
      Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

thanks for all the input well i guess run it till it breaks lol its locked i got 34s i have youkon chrome molly shafts i wheel moderately but i gues its a matter of time thanks again any sugestions for a swap keeping price in mind

Comment

does any one know if holcolmb is open cause the fire

Comment

The Holecomb Creek trail is closed and will be for a while.

As far as the D35 thing, I ran mine locked for seven years without breaking a shaft. Started with 31's, then 32's and finally 33's. I drove it like I had a D35, carried spare shafts and was prepared to fix it on the trail. Played on plenty of rough stuff too including the Rubicon and many of the tougher trails in Moab. I also have an auto tranny which acts like a shock absorber in the driveline. Although I never broke a shaft the housing was bent twice. I had it straightened when the Detroit locker was installed and when it was pulled out for the D60 install it was bent. Also both shafts were damaged and likely to fail in the very near future. You can definitely get by for quite a while if you are careful. The alloy shafts will help and a truss would be a great addition until you can upgrade. If you are running 33's or up, want to lock or regularly do the rough stuff plan on upgrading down the line.
            '91 YJ 4.O, Auto, 4.5" Deaver, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's, D60 w/ Detroit, D30 w/ TrueTrac, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE, Belly Up Skid, LED's...

Comment

alright thanks for the update on the trail

Comment

It's not just the shafts on a D35, but the housing is also weak. If you throw any money into a D35, your may as well just put it in an envelope and send it to me.

The only benefit of polishing a D35, is that you get a lighter wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by Long&Low View Post
                  It's not just the shafts on a D35, but the housing is also weak. If you throw any money into a D35, your may as well just put it in an envelope and send it to me.

The only benefit of polishing a D35, is that you get a lighter wallet.
                  i agree 100% i had the d35. i thought that i needed to just go super 35, but after doing some homework, talking to a couple people who knew a lot about axles. i went 8.8. it comes stock with 4.1 gears and you can get it welded up for a TJ for short money. it can also allow you to piece meal your axle cause you can build it over time while you run your stock axle.

my $.02

Comment

Just buy my D44 i have for sale and you will have way less to worry about. Then sell off your D35 to someone that "has to have it" and you will be ahead of the game. :wink::wink: I have seen the havoc caused by a broken D35 on the trail and it is always a hassle to get fixed and going again especially if it twists a tube AND breaks an axle. :oops:

Comment

Working...
                    X