Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dana 35

how weak is this axel is it as weak as people say has any one on here actually broke one if so howeasy was it
    :gun:im a outlaw baby:gun:

Well there's only one way to find out...

Comment

I did the super 35, then pulled the axle tubes out of the housing. Wasn't too hard.

Don't waste any money on that axle, or you'll be all pissed off - like I was
      "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

i think you need to ask yourself what your ultimate goal with the vehicle is, before you ask how strong the axle is.

although highly unlikely, it is possible that the axle is acceptable for your application, as most people's application these days seems to be "i can't live without 35's"..
        03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

I think its going to depend on your driving style (read:finesse) and the type of wheeling you like to do. If you dont lock it, it'll be less likely to break.

I recently upgraded, but not because I broke mine. I ran a d35 unlocked, and kept up with most of the guys on some fairly difficult trails. Ran Rubicon 3 times and some of the popular trails in Moab.

If you keep your foot out of it, and learn some control it will last alot longer. I've heard rumors that Superior should have a truss out again for the D35 shortly So if you really arent going to be pushing the limits of the axle, it would totally be worth the money to truss it.

Good luck with your decision.

Tam
          2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
          Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal View Post
            I think its going to depend on your driving style (read:finesse) and the type of wheeling you like to do. If you dont lock it, it'll be less likely to break.

I recently upgraded, but not because I broke mine. I ran a d35 unlocked, and kept up with most of the guys on some fairly difficult trails. Ran Rubicon 3 times and some of the popular trails in Moab.

If you keep your foot out of it, and learn some control it will last alot longer. I've heard rumors that Superior should have a truss out again for the D35 shortly So if you really arent going to be pushing the limits of the axle, it would totally be worth the money to truss it.

Good luck with your decision.

Tam
            Interesting!

And yes, I agree with Tam. I've had pretty good luck with my d35 so far, and I've been running 33X12.50's for well over a year. Not saying I'm an expert by any means, but I think a lot of it has to do with knowing your Jeep and how it feels while you're out there playing.
            -Bob
            '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal View Post
              I've heard rumors that Superior should have a truss out again for the D35 shortly So if you really arent going to be pushing the limits of the axle, it would totally be worth the money to truss it.
              Hey Tam, I've heard that rumor too. It's making me think I should just super 35 and truss my axle instead of swapping... I'll know when I get closer to dropping that kind of money into the heap again. I'm still recovering from the lift/transmission one-two punch!
              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I suspect some people do a few easy trails and then take up basket weaving :yay:

Others get totally addicted, do a few mods :wrench: then try a slightly harder trail. This cycle repeats for a year or two then they post on MJR "Bollocks. I wish I hadn't spent all that money on the D35."

Tam is the exception to the rule, but we knew that already

Comment

since it relates to this thread: i'm planning to go to a super 35 arb locker setup but will run 31's or 32's for a while so i don't really plan on the truss quite yet.

31's and open seem to be totally fine for the d35, as long as you don't lock it up.

Comment

Originally posted by aston View Post
                    I did the super 35, then pulled the axle tubes out of the housing. Wasn't too hard.

Don't waste any money on that axle, or you'll be all pissed off - like I was
                    I did the Super 35 and ran it for about 2 years. The axle shafts didn't break, but both tubes twisted 45° opposite directions on a 3 foot waterfall that I had climbed earlier that day.
                    IF and thats a big IF you could weld the tubes to the pinion housing (cant) AND use some sort of a truss, you could have a decent little axle. But, that is all it would be, a little axle. Good for running a max size of 33" tires in the sand or fire trails.
                    I knew that mine would break eventually, so it wasn't as frustruating when it broke. That is what AAA extended towing package is for!
                    A Dana 44 or a Currie 9" would be my suggestion.
                    Last edited by pdw; 09-21-07, 01:22 PM.
                    Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike View Post
                      since it relates to this thread: i'm planning to go to a super 35 arb locker setup but will run 31's or 32's for a while so i don't really plan on the truss quite yet.

31's and open seem to be totally fine for the d35, as long as you don't lock it up.
                      While I'm not an expert, I dont agree with you there. From the three examples that I have seen, it appears to be the axle housing that bends and causes the shafts to break at the c-clip. So, locked or unlocked doesn't really matter when the housings are flexing.
                      Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
                        While I'm not an expert, I dont agree with you there. From the three examples that I have seen, it appears to be the axle housing that bends and causes the shafts to break at the c-clip. So, locked or unlocked doesn't really matter when the housings are flexing.
                        while i'm not an expert, doesn't the tj dana 44 use the same diameter and thickness tubes as the 44, longer tube lengths, and is also not welded to the center section?

also it would be helpful to know what the drivers were doing/what setup they are running at the time of the breakage.

i think the most constructive discussion here for cbrazor1 would be to discuss the limits of the dana 35 for both tire size and terrain. as i've read from many people, it seems the problems people always have with a super 35 are when they're 4.5" lifted on 35's and running johnson valley, not 2.5" lifted on 31's or 33's running most types of california trails. unfortunately everyone seems to love big tires and big lifts so it's usually hard to find someone that actually wheels a lightly modified rig to compare with.

i'm not at all trying to defend the dana 35, but i'm also considering this upgrade and realize that it, as well as any modification, has its limits, and want to feel comfortable that it would hold up to basically anything outside of johnson valley including the rubocon, on 31"-33" tires, or not.

thanks for the insight...

Comment

while i'm not an expert, doesn't the tj dana 44 use the same diameter and thickness tubes as the 44, longer tube lengths, and is also not welded to the center section?

A) Most axle tubes are press fit with small welds to hold them in place. Most pinion housings are cast iron and do not take well to welding. A professional welder can weld on them effectively, but the majority of us do not have the experiance.

also it would be helpful to know what the drivers were doing/what setup they are running at the time of the breakage.

A) Climbing stupid stuff

i think the most constructive discussion here for cbrazor1 would be to discuss the limits of the dana 35 for both tire size and terrain. as i've read from many people, it seems the problems people always have with a super 35 are when they're 4.5" lifted on 35's and running johnson valley, not 2.5" lifted on 31's or 33's running most types of california trails.
                          A) 31's or 35's it's simply a question of time before the axle will break.

unfortunately everyone seems to love big tires and big lifts so it's usually hard to find someone that actually wheels a lightly modified rig to compare with.

A) That would be because most everybody has moved up from 31" tires as they build there vehicle of choice. I started wheeling a 1994 S-10 Blazer w/30" mud terrains and a lock-rite in the rear axle. I had good times, but soon became frustrated by the limitations of the vehicle.

i'm not at all trying to defend the dana 35, but i'm also considering this upgrade and realize that it, as well as any modification, has its limits, and want to feel comfortable that it would hold up to basically anything outside of johnson valley including the rubocon, on 31"-33" tires, or not.

You can get the axle through the Rubicon, sure. But, now that I have broken my D35-I changed my tune.
                          Money pit!

Comment

i think the most constructive discussion here for cbrazor1 would be to discuss the limits of the dana 35 for both tire size and terrain. as i've read from many people, it seems the problems people always have with a super 35 are when they're 4.5" lifted on 35's and running johnson valley, not 2.5" lifted on 31's or 33's running most types of california trails. unfortunately everyone seems to love big tires and big lifts so it's usually hard to find someone that actually wheels a lightly modified rig to compare with.

Good point. I think the D30 is worth spending money on when you doing 2-3 trails but the D35 is not.

I carried a length of tubing and ratchet clamps as a trial fix for broken D35 C clips.

oops gotta go

Comment

Originally posted by aston View Post
                              Good point. I think the D30 is worth spending money on when you doing 2-3 trails but the D35 is not.

I carried a length of tubing and ratchet clamps as a trial fix for broken D35 C clips.

oops gotta go
                              I agree with the Dana 30 comment. With the right mods it can take alot of abuse.

That says it all!
                              Money pit!

Comment

Working...
                              X