Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden Lack of Oil PRESSURE!

Hey ya'll,
    Yesterday I was driving my Jeep around and I had no issues-my oil pressure gauge was reading it's typical 60lbs or so @ 3k rpm.
    This morning I start the Jeep to take the kids to school and the oil pressure gauge doesn't register a thing!

I have plenty of oil-checked that first thing.

Could it be a oil pressure sensor gone bad?

I have a 1993 YJ with the 2.5l-it has 113k miles and with this exception appears to be a healthy motor. Anybody have any insight?
    Money pit!

My '95 went through 3 sensors. The oil pressure guage would work fine and then peg 80 and not move. One day we were coming back from Vegas and the needle moved to zero! That freaked me out. Then I started to smell burning oil. The sensor was leaking.
    Not wanting a fire, I stopped at a marine supply shop, the only thing open, and plugged the whole.
    Back to your question, I've heard from a few other 2.4 owners and they all concur that the sensor goes bad. They are cheap at any auto parts store. Now I carry a spare sensor and the plug in my parts bag.

Comment

It is quite common to have oil pressure switch failures.

Brett
      offroadwerkz.com
      (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Thanks guys, I was really tripping this morning. I was NOT looking forward to the prospect of major work......I'll drop by Pep Boys after work.

Maybe I have been lucky as this is the first issue that I have had with the oil pressure sensor.
        Money pit!

Comment

just to throw this in, I was just working on my jeep and found the small ground wire running form the gage cluster to the block had a really poor connection, and so I fixed it, and now my gages don't tremble all over like they used to...

not the problem in this case, but it is something to look at ever once in a while...
          :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

You can get an aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge that is probably going to be much more reliable. They're relatively inexpensive and easy to install.
            When the one in my TJ goes I'll be installing one in mine.

Rat
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Another good sign would be the lack of noise. No oil pressure and I'll bet the motor would rattle a bit. Every now & then mine will peg @ 80 or max, cycle the power and it reads fine, probably should look into it, someday.

Hope this works out for the best, B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ View Post
                Another good sign would be the lack of noise. No oil pressure and I'll bet the motor would rattle a bit. Every now & then mine will peg @ 80 or max, cycle the power and it reads fine, probably should look into it, someday.

Hope this works out for the best, B&T TJ
                I was wondering about that because the other day I had the hood up and the engine running and the valves sounded louded than usual......That was before I noticed the oil pressure gauge.

Would an oil pump go bad like that? It is a mechanical device after all, but are they known for breaking?
                Money pit!

Comment

Something to add to the previous question....... Yesterday afternoon I was re-wiring my fog lights and when I turned the ignition to the "on" position to check the fuctionality of my wiring when I noticed my oil pressure gauge rise slightly.
                  I thought that I'd take the chance and start the engine and see what would happen. Sure enough the oil pressure gauge rose to it's typical level (45 lbs. or so) and the engine idled in a normal quiet manner.

So, I'm thinking, "Could my work on the wiring for the lights have impacted the gauge?" I simply hooked the lights to the same power source-the battery-and to the switch via a fuse and relay-same setup as before....

What are your thoughts on this? Or are the two totally unrelated items?
                  Money pit!

Comment

I'd say count your blessings but definetly keep an eye on it. It could've been the pressure switch acting up. And with 113k miles it's probably anyones guess how long before major work will be needed.

B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ View Post
                      I'd say count your blessings but definetly keep an eye on it. It could've been the pressure switch acting up. And with 113k miles it's probably anyones guess how long before major work will be needed.

B&T TJ
                      I have been thinking about that inevitability.......Either a rebuilt 4 w/a supercharger or simply drop in a Chevy 350.....The cost is about the same, but there is no replacement for extra cubes!
                      Money pit!

Comment

Working...
                      X