Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer case skid plate, YJ

Anyone had any experience installing an aftermarket transfer case skid plate?

Teraflex "Belly-Up" Skid plate
    Rubicon Express raised skid
    Nth Degree Mobility's flat skid
    33 Engineering's High Clearance Skid plate

Specifically, in a YJ with a 6 cyl and manual transmission.

Was a 2" body lift necessary or can you get away with 1" and some bashing?

Any issues with shift levers?

Any product/brand opinions?

You know, the usual :poop:
    Last edited by aston; 08-13-07, 01:12 PM. Reason: blah
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

I think that I may have the closest match to your description. I have a 93 YJ w/a 4cyl, manual trans and I bought the 33 Engineering skid plate.

A couple of issues:

With a 1" body lift was already installed I had to reuse my 1" skid plate drop spacers. With the current installation setup there is about 1/2" of space between the transmission and floor board.

Possible rear driveline vibration issues-I am using a Tom Woods driveshaft that attaches to a Currie high pinion 9" with 2° of angle on the leaf pads and I would suggest carrying a fresh set of u-joints

Non-Issue:
    I did not have any issues with the shift pattern.

The exhaust did not need any mods. (That being said, I had previously replaced the entire exhaust system, so I may have been lucky with that!)

That being said, I would still recommend the 33 Engineering skid. Even with the 1" skid plate drop spacers I gained TONS of clearance!---The best comprimise in my case----A two inch body lift would give you enough room between your floor board and trans, but then you need to find a 2" motor mount lift and it just gets more exspensive from there with the exhaust mods, possible replacement of front & rear drive shafts.....but it can be done.

If you have the $$$-buy whatever skid you think is best,(although the 33 Engineering unit is nicely made) have the exhaust modified at the local muffler shop and be prepared to spend $$ on new driveshafts.
    Last edited by pdw; 08-16-07, 10:54 AM. Reason: added more feedback
    Money pit!

Comment

I have the TeraFlex belly up skid. The clearance gained is awesome. I have the 4.0 with, auto, 1" MML & 1" BL (SYE of course) and didn't need to use the optional 1/2 spacers that come with the kit. Things are high and tight and my muffler contacts the heat shield a little but the floor board still doesn't get very hot. If I remember correctly I have 19" of clearance under the skid with my 35's. No shifting issues with the TC or tranny. No regrets with the TeraFlex, but the nth degree unit looks good too (and it comes with a low profile tranny mount). Which ever brand you choose you are going to love the extra clearance under that skid.
      '91 YJ 4.O, Auto, 4.5" Deaver, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's, D60 w/ Detroit, D30 w/ TrueTrac, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE, Belly Up Skid, LED's...

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I have a Skid Row engine bash plate which is doing a good job judging by all the scrapes and dings. I wonder if I will be able to keep it or if I will need something else.

Comment

Originally posted by aston View Post
          Thanks for the replies.

I have a Skid Row engine bash plate which is doing a good job judging by all the scrapes and dings. I wonder if I will be able to keep it or if I will need something else.
          I have a Skid Row engine skid plate also. I cut about two inches off of the back, welded two 2" tabs onto the back end, drilled a hole in each tab and used some grade 8 nuts & bolts. I bent the tabs to match the angle of the skid plate.
          I also cut off the front corner of the skid plate because it serves no purpose and it extra weight. But, then again I have a 4cyl.
          Money pit!

Comment

I got the Nth Degree bash plate and at first try it interferred with the tubular cross member that I added for the traction bar (SOA YJ )

After some swearing I realized that I could cut off the extra cross member and attach the traction bar directly to the Nth degree.

Some fabrication was required but nothing too taxing.

Looks good, what? :yay:

Comment

I have that skid. it has held up fairly well. i have had to pull it o a couple of ties and flatten it out again. you may want to reinforce the flat areas to prevent this.

let me know how well it its in there.
              i plan to switch to an aluminum flat skid before long. i'm sure i'll have to do some smashing to get that under there witht he atlas in place.
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
              X