Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle Parts...

My axle tubes are showing a little bit of seepage lately, so I decided to tear into the front end and replace just about everything but the axles themselves. I went to Off Road Unlimited in search of bearings, seals, and U Joints. Nada!? How about the socket needed for the spindle nut? No tools!? What DO they sell?

I know all of this stuff is readily available online, but I like to try to support the locals as much as possible. So, off to Burbank AutoParts. I spent $177 on parts, but they also didn't have the socket needed. So, I went online to order the socket from Quadratec. I looked up the parts I got from Burbank AP, only to find they gave me the wrong seals...AND the spindle nut kit they sold me for $27.99 (2 needed) sold for $7.99!?!? I went back and told him there MUST be a mistake. Nope. So, I returned the incorrect seals and the spindle nut kit. $75 back in my pocket.

So, the day is nearly over, and I haven't accomplished anything!

Most of the people on here are fairly local. Any suggestions for an automotive store that might have the correct parts for my 1983 CJ7?

I've got 3 days of down time now.

I always try to support the local businesses as well. However, I had to go to 6...yes 6 different auto parts to get the parts I needed to replace freeze plugs. After the third place, I decided to get the parts at the dealer, they are sure to have the stuff......So off to the 5th parts store I go....the dealer told me that if they do not use a part in 6 months, they stop stocking it and turn it into a special order part. Anyway, I was able to get the rest of what I needed at the 6th place I went to (Iwas slowly collecting aprts at each store I stopped at) So, back to your post....I think sometimes it's simplier, if you have the time, to order on line. It's easy to research prices and you're not running all over town collecting parts. The local guys are supposed to be there to provide the service. You get what they make some money and everyone's happy. More and more that doesn't seem to be the case......did I mention that at part store #4 they gave me the wrong belt...so that's another trip to return it. Anyway, my jeep is not a DD so internet shopping works well for me because I'm not usually in a rush to get whatever fixed. I decided to go local because I'm off for the next few days, so it was a good time to do the job. I guess what I'm saying is I feel your pain......if no fun running around to find parts and then getting the wrong parts to boot. As far as places to get parts, I find that napa usually has everything I'm looking for.

Today though, they let me down. They didn't have the freeze plugs or the gasket I needed. he checked wit hthe other napa stores, and said plugs were in El Monte and gasket in L.A., but the napa in Indio, 15 min from where I live had what I needed....how come this guy's computer didn't show the parts there???? For me, loyalty, as supporting the local businesses, stops when they stop providing the services I need, start charging prices like I'm paying for their kids collage tuition, or have to many priors giving me the wrong part. NAPA is still good with me, everyone makes a mistake now and then. What a lot of these business today have forgotten is customer loyalty......Okay....okay I'm off my soap box now.....I don't know if I helped you with your questions......but I feel better....
    1997 TJ hp44/hp60-a lot of goodies

Comment

I use Napa exclusively for parts. If they don't have it in a local store they almost always have it in Pomona (main warehouse). I use vendors at work for tools, but Sears has all the sockets you can shake a stick at; for specilaty tools like spanners and pin sockets, Rutland tool (online, but local) grainger, McMaster Carr and Capitol tool do the job for me.
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Both Tri COunty Gear (pomona) and Four X Doctor (Burbank) will carry any bearings/seals and that sort of stuff you will need. Not certain how the retail pricing compares to the internet, but both shops are reputable. If you need something for a Jeep, time is critical, these folks can usually help you out.
        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Its a bit of a drive but try a place called Peerless auto parts, its in Torrace 310-856-4810 they can come up with most stuff you may need, or try Frank over at South Bay Drive train at 310.219.0727
          The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

I also have had good luck with NAPA.
            I've been told I have rocks in my head.

Comment

I'll have to check out Four X Doctors...I didn't realize they carried the smaller components.

The NAPA nearest my house is not much better than an autozone unfortunately.

Thanks for the input...

Comment

Have you considered Quadratec.com?
                Money pit!

Comment

Working...
                X