Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toasted 4.2!

Well I pushed it when I should have cooled it. I over heated my 88' YJ 4.2 and could'nt turn around and return down hill as quickly as I would have wanted. I now have a clatter coming from the top of my engine. This is worst from idle to 1500 rpm. I have been running hotter latey, and just had my oil pump changed to fix another problem. I'm interested in the price difference in rebuilding what I've got versus having a replacement 4.2 put in. Any help or ideas will be welcomed.

Mitch - great88 Hesperia

You should get that stroker 4.6L
    Just trying to get to Cali!

Comment

Search the internet, here is a link from Quadfratech for rebuilt engines starting at $1500.

http://www.quadratec.com/Showcases/j...ement_engines/
      :wink:

Comment

88 huh? carbed?.. yep..... 1st off i'd step away from carb and look into some fuel injection set ups.

secondly a stroked out 4.0 to a 4.6 is the ticket. dont know your time restraints, workspace or mechanical knowledge but im building a 4.6 for my 4.0 replacement and its going well

if you want a long lasting, moderately built rig for minimal money do this:

call scotty's in fontana..

go get a 96-98 4.0 block casting #53020569 (909) 829-2913 .. it cost me 250.0
        also get a 91-95 4.0 head. casting number 7120 150.00

get the block mag'd, hot tanked, bore it 0.020" over, deck the head 0.010". freeze plugs and press in stock cam bearings.

use the stock 96-98 cam
        stock lifters
        stock valves, 3 angle valve job, polished.
        port and polish the head
        resurface head.
        1972-80...#3214723...12 counterweights, 66lb crank cost me 100.00 in upland ca..
        Crankshaft rear main seal: #05018594AA
        AMC 258 rods: pn 3180444 (71-81 707 casting) with ROD BOLTS
        Sealed Power 677P +0.020 pistons #STL-677P20: 122USD
        Hastings +0.020 cast piston rings #667: 25USD
        Clevite 77 rod bearings #CB-960P-20(6)summit for 38.00
        Main bearing girdle spacer kit: (14 hardened 5/16" steel washers): 1.00
        Main bearing girdle and retaining nuts: dealer 16.00
        Camshaft sprocket bolt: #83502890 & washer #J3173284
        Crank harmonic damper: #33002920T: 29.00
        Timing gear and chain: CLO-9-3127 link to timing gear and chain 113.00
        Oil pump: Melling high volume pump MEL-M167HVS from Engine Tech 818-999-3451 Richard 72.39
        Engine Tech Complete Gasket set #j242L-47 Engine Tech 818-999-3451 Richard 70.84
        Includes Victor Reinz lower #CS-5713X and Victor Reinz upper gasket set #HS-5713Z
        Crower chromemoly hardened pushrods #70158-12: 36USD
        Mopar Performance valve springs #5249464, retainers #4452032, & locks #4529218: 153USD from The Moparts Connection
        Yella Terra 1.6 ratio roller rocker arms #YT6627: 364USD
        THAT SHOULD GET YOU STARTED

you'll need a new computer, 99+ intake manifold and a bigger TB and mustang injectors... few other things we could talk about...

you'll have a motor for about 2500.00 completely new w/all accessories that will last you at least a decade! and will put out:
        Compression Ratio: 9.25:1
        Calculated flywheel outputs:
        Maximum HP: 265hp @ 4900rpm
        Maximum TQ: 325lbft @ 3500rpm

OR just get a SBC or a amc 360 and call it a day!
        1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Kevin,

I got dizzy just reading your list of parts. Unfortunately I do not have the skills or knowledge to do this myself. I will have to find a shop or someone to drop a new engine in. I had checked with a shop months ago about a smog legal 4.0 replacement, but they were talking $5,400 and 5 weeks of shop time. I would prefere something a little cheaper. The extra horsepower would be nice, but fuel injection would be a huge relief. The carb issue is part of my concern of harder trails. Thank you for everyones help. Keep any suggestions coming, and I'll post details to what I end up doing.

Mitch - great88 (was great)

Comment

http://www.quadratec.com/products/51107_50X_PG.htm

I dunno know...maybe someone could help you swap this in? Its cheaper then 5600. Wish I lived out there I would help...i need to learn about engines
            Just trying to get to Cali!

Comment

If you look around on some other sites (jeepaholics had a bunch of them once) or some junkyards you'll find a 4.0 for around $3-600. But you got to replace some of the wiring and computer. As far as skills make some jeep friends that drink beer and they'll put it in for you. :wrench::geek:
              “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
              -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

yeah you could just call scotty's and get a complete 97-98 motor that is obdII, get a computer ( i think i have one i could sell... maybe) get a wiring harness ( the wiring is the hardest part probably), you may need a newer gas tank and sending unit and fuel lines and throw it all in..

also you could just have your engine rebuilt and keep what you have. i had a 92 yj carbed and i HATED IT!

Comment

My local repair shop in Hesperia has a call into "Scotty's". They have a 4.0 and are putting together a price for motor, wiring harness, computer, and fuel tank. Install will be around $1000. The shop also called a company that sells rebuilt engines (not ATK) and they quoted $3200 for a 4.2 with an upgraded cam and install kit (hoses, belts, tune up stuff, etc.). Obviously if the price is similar I'll go with the injected 4.0 . But it's alot of money that I didn't plan to spend!

Don't forget, when the motor gets hot, go home so you can wheel another day.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post

Don't forget, when the motor gets hot, go home so you can wheel another day.

Mitch
                    When the motor gets hot, pull over imediately and turn it off!!
                    “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                    -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Paul,

Totally correct! Unfortunatly I was on a single lane, dirt road going up hill and could not pull off or turn around as soon as I should have. I did stop for 20 minutes to let it cool down before putt puttin down hill towards home.

Mitch

Comment

Call me at my shop on Monday...... I will get you a good deal.

Bret
                        offroadwerkz.com
                        (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Well, I ordered a 4.2 motor and a howell injection unit from "OFF ROAD WERKZ" and should be on the road soon. This is going to be installed by Ken @ thejeepguyonline.com in Hesperia. I will try to photo and document this change over for others to see. I can not thank Bret enough for his help and assistance in this purchase. If any of you need parts or help give OFF ROAD WERKZ a call.

Mitch - great88

Comment

He must of been true to his word and gave you a good deal
                            Dan

Comment

any updates?

Comment

Working...
                              X