Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, I lost 5th (not a regearing related thread)

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, I lost 5th (not a regearing related thread)

My 5-speed transmission started giving me problems the other day. If I shift into 5th, it doesn't feel like it goes in all the way. It will go in with a LITTLE bit of extra force, but then it seems fine. Now the problem. I can't shift into any other gear! I can't get it into 4th or lower without pulling so damn hard I feel like I'm going to break/bend the actual shifter. Once I get it in 4th or another lower gear, it acts completely normal in 1st through 4th again.

My observations:
    • I don't think it's the syncros, as it doesn't grind going into any gear.
    • I don't think it's the clutch, once it's in 4th (or lower) it acts fine/normal.

My questions:
    1. Is my tranny going to blow up?
    2. Do I need a rebuild? or is it a linkage problem?
    3. I just put 33s on with 3.07s so 5th is all but useless so should I not worry about it?

:beer:
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

will it shift into reverse?
    That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Bushings. Bushings...

I have $$ on the linkage and the bushings. Check to make sure you haven't bent the linkage forcing it into gear, and look at the... BUSHINGS... :shout:
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Bachman View Post
        will it shift into reverse?
        Yes

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
        Bushings. Bushings...

I have $$ on the linkage and the bushings. Check to make sure you haven't bent the linkage forcing it into gear, and look at the... BUSHINGS... :shout:
        What bushings? Pull the shifter and look for internal bushings??? Also, JF peeps said there's really no linkage associated with the tranny... what gives? (I'll be reading some of my FSM tonight )

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
          Yes

What bushings? Pull the shifter and look for internal bushings??? Also, JF peeps said there's really no linkage associated with the tranny... what gives? (I'll be reading some of my FSM tonight )
          WARNING WARNING! BRAIN FART!!!
          Sorry, I was on a transfer case thread and it just stuck in my head. So solly...

Kurt
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

That happened to me on my 94 YJ about two years ago. When I tore the transmission down I found that the oil was like a milkshake. Damn river crossings LOL !
            Anyway the trans has to be rebuilt. the bearings were done and the syncros needed to be replaced.
            offroadwerkz.com
            (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Originally posted by fun4wheelerguy View Post
              That happened to me on my 94 YJ about two years ago. When I tore the transmission down I found that the oil was like a milkshake. Damn river crossings LOL !
              Anyway the trans has to be rebuilt. the bearings were done and the syncros needed to be replaced.
              Not what I wanted to hear!!! I haven't done any deep water crossings... only a couple puddles. I'm trying to figure out how to get it to a shop next week and I'll post what I find out.

Comment

I know a tranny shop that could fix that for you...(Said in a mexican accent)
                |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                  Not what I wanted to hear!!! I haven't done any deep water crossings... only a couple puddles. I'm trying to figure out how to get it to a shop next week and I'll post what I find out.
                  Mat, call me if you need a ride or something. Even have jeep sitting at home during the week. Soft top though, not very secure. or I'll drive the jeep and you drive the truck.
                  "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                  (Charles Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                    I know a tranny shop that could fix that for you...(Said in a mexican accent)
                    Why didn't you offer that this weekend? Anyways... where is it? Not local is it? Call me...

Originally posted by Mtbikbob View Post
                    Mat, call me if you need a ride or something. Even have jeep sitting at home during the week. Soft top though, not very secure. or I'll drive the jeep and you drive the truck.
                    Wow, now that's an offer and a half! Thanks Bob, I REALLY appreciate it! You're too nice!!! I'm going to take it to a shop tomorrow morning and a co-worker (that lives close) is going to pick me up. I'll get a diagnosis (free) and maybe a repair if it doesn't break the bank! I'll keep everybody informed... hopefully it's not milkshaked up like fun4wheelerguy's tranny! If so, I'll have to change my windshield banner to "MyJeepSucks.com" because the only water I've driven through recently was 4" of water on the run to Butler Peak!

If it needs to be in the shop for a couple days, I might call you for a ride up Bronco Peak.

Comment

Kinda surprised you dont want to do the job yourself. You have plenty of knowhow....if not, I know you know how to learn real quick.
                      I also have friends that own Metro Transmission here in San Marcos, if that helps.
                      "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                      (Charles Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob View Post
                        Kinda surprised you dont want to do the job yourself. You have plenty of knowhow....if not, I know you know how to learn real quick.
                        I also have friends that own Metro Transmission here in San Marcos, if that helps.
                        Well, the diagnosis is free! For some reason transmission still intimidate me! If I have a good diagnosis, I might attempt the repair myself. The problem is I know 6 or 7 engine/suspension/etc. gurus, so if I were doing that work and ran into a snag, I could ask for help. I've asked all my 'goto' people about my problem and I've gotten pretty much the same response... "Doesn't sound like anything... take it to a transmission shop!"

If I take it to a shop, I might look up your friends (or Allen's Uncle) as I'll want to trust the work done!

Comment

I forgot my lube today...

The main shaft bearings went bad so it was causing the transmission to not line up 100% when shifting so 5th is toast... The synchros have been eating it pretty hard too because of things not lining up properly too.

Repairs:

New main bearings, new synchros all around, and a new 5th gear... My wallet hurts. No wheeling/new tires for a while .

EDIT: Wish I would have seen THIS earlier! I might have tried this myself (just kidding)!
                          Last edited by Materdaddy; 06-06-07, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X