Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer case seal question

Does anybody know if you can change/replace the oil seal on the front drive shaft w/o pulling the whole transfer case? If so, what is the easiest way?
    Money pit!

Yes, you have to remove the front driveshaft, and the NUT on the front output. Pry out the seal, install a new one with some RTV on the outer edge, and put some RTV on the splines before you put the yoke back on and torque the yoke nut back on, re-install the drive shaft and you should be set.
    Last edited by Long&Low; 05-18-07, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Long&Low View Post
      Yes, you have to remove the front driveshaft, and the yoke on the front output. Pry out the seal, install a new one with some RTV on the outer edge, and put some RTV on the splines before you put the yoke back on and torque the yoke nut back on, re-install the drive shaft and you should be set.
      Thank you for the info! It's been oozing for a while, but all of the sudden it started "barfing" fluid this afternoon. So, after spending $20 at the dealer I have another project for the weekend!
      Money pit!

Comment

Hope you have a 1 1/8" socket and an impact. Takes like 5 minutes once the DS is dropped. Also, be careful dropping the driveshaft that you don't loose a cap. There's a spline seal which looks like a rubber washer that you "should" replace when you do it also. You'll see the remains of the old one when you pull it out. Oh, be prepared to loose some ATF out of the transfercase, so you'll have to top it off when you're done. Torque is around 120 on that nut when you put it back on. Check the manual to be sure.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by markw View Post
          Hope you have a 1 1/8" socket and an impact. Takes like 5 minutes once the DS is dropped. Also, be careful dropping the driveshaft that you don't loose a cap. There's a spline seal which looks like a rubber washer that you "should" replace when you do it also. You'll see the remains of the old one when you pull it out. Oh, be prepared to loose some ATF out of the transfercase, so you'll have to top it off when you're done. Torque is around 120 on that nut when you put it back on. Check the manual to be sure.

Mark
          I got a whole bunch of ATF fluid! Fortunately I planned ahead and had my oil change can nearby. The yoke came off easily, but it looks like the seal needs one of those job specific tools in order to get the seal out.....Can somebody verify this?
          Money pit!

Comment

Answered my own question tonight at Pep Boys-this pulled the seal in about 5 seconds and only cost $9.99. Well worth the investment!
            Money pit!

Comment

Working...
            X