Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep Posi Lock

How does anybody feal about the posi lock? I am considering it to run a detroit locker up font too.

We talking about a TJ?? I don't think TJ ever came with a vacuum disconnect axle. (2 piece right side axle shaft with a vacuum slider to engage).

On my 1990 XJ I locked the slider engaged and left it. it has a metal vacuum chamber, i engaged it and smashed the metal cover so it could not disengage, a temp trail fix about four years ago.
    Last edited by Davisrats; 05-13-07, 11:50 AM. Reason: spellung
    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Originally posted by Davisrats View Post
      We talking about a TJ?? I don't think TJ ever came with a vacuum disconnect axle. (2 piece right side axle shaft with a vacuum slider to engage).

On my 1990 XJ I locked the slider engaged and left it. it has a metal vacuum chamber, i engaged it and smashed the metal cover so it could not disengage, a temp trail fix about four years ago.
      Vacuum disconnect is for (early)XJs and YJs... you're out of luck Davisrats unless you swap a vacuum disco HP30 from an XJ, but if you get the right HP30 from an XJ it will be a direct bolt-in and non vacuum-disco.
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Correct. Will not work with your TJ, unless you have swapped in a Vac-disco D30 from an XJ.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

you dont need a posi lock to run a detroit in the front, in 2wd you will not even know the detroit is there, and in 4wd you will learn how to steer the front after a little bit. I am running detroits front and rear, and no problems.
          :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Well that is good then becuase I want to run detroit lockers front and rear. Do I have cable disconnect like a possi locker from the facrory?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntersbo View Post
              Well that is good then becuase I want to run detroit lockers front and rear. Do I have cable disconnect like a possi locker from the facrory?
              No, your front axle shafts always spin. They will turn your driveshaft, but it spins freely because it's disconnected in the transfer case. When you pull the lever into 4WD, the transfer case locks the front and rear driveshafts together which is when your front axle will be what seems to you 'engaged'.

You seem to be stuck on this notion of axle disconnecting, which in a stock TJ just doesn't exist... maybe you should look into a HUB kit for your front D30, like THIS. That will allow you to manually disconnect your axle (although not with a cable).

Comment

I just gotta say, there is no need to disconnect anything up front when you are running the Detroit locker, in 2wd it is not an issue and in 4wd it does what its supposed to. and when you re-gear, you can subtract the cost of a new carrier from the cost of the locker if it makes the price any better for ya, cause the locker is your carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                  I just gotta say, there is no need to disconnect anything up front when you are running the Detroit locker, in 2wd it is not an issue and in 4wd it does what its supposed to. and when you re-gear, you can subtract the cost of a new carrier from the cost of the locker if it makes the price any better for ya, cause the locker is your carrier.
                  I think you said that already.
                  Maybe he just wants the axels and driveshaft to be disconnected when not in 4wd. So's to save gas mileage, or just wear and tear on moving parts in the front axel area.
                  "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                  (Charles Wells)

Comment

Is there any real savings in gas mileage with the disconnect? I am already getting 14/15 mpg mixed driving. I want to run two detroit lockers with my lower gears.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntersbo View Post
                      Is there any real savings in gas mileage with the disconnect? I am already getting 14/15 mpg mixed driving. I want to run two detroit lockers with my lower gears.
                      I doubt you'd see any noticeable mileage increase with hubs. The reason I would want them is if you lock, and snap a shaft, you can remove the shaft and still have power to the non-snapped shaft up front, and a way to get home w/o a flat-bed!

Comment

and when you re-gear, you can subtract the cost of a new carrier from the cost of the locker if it makes the price any better for ya, cause the locker is your carrier.
                        Kodiak Spirit, are you suggesting lockrites or a rear end that already has the right gears and lockers ready to go? I suppose I could get a dana 44 that does not have c-clips that may or may not have stronger tubes than my 35 becuase if I get the Super-35 with good gears assuming I do the labor my self will cost as much as a mopar rear end? I am open for suggestions. Back to the disocnnect of the front end I just asked because I want to get detriot lockers front and rear.
                        http://www.jeepconnection.com/parts/index.html

Comment

Thanks Matterdaddy, I suppose I have better consider that.

Comment

I am just repeating myself because I thought that you had to have hubs or a disconnect for the front axle, untill several people told me otherwise, and so then I finally just threw the detroit in the front, and have been enjoying it ever since. but I didn't do it for the longest time, cause I didnt believe anyone, and I was new to the sport and didnt have enough cash to make that kind of mistake. The whole carrier thing, is that with the Dana 30 front end, you have to change the carrier to go to 4.56 or 4.88 gears. If you do the Detroit locker it takes the place of the carrier, so you dont have to buy one, so if you were gonna spend $200 for a carrier, you can just spend $500 for a locker. The same for the rear, chances you wont find a Dana 44 with the gears you have , so if you have to buy a carrier to do the gears, just get the detroit instead of the carrier.

Comment

Thanks Kodiak Spirit and everyone else. I will keep the front disconnect alone until it gives me trouble. I just need to decide now if I am going dana 44 or to stick with my dana 35 with c clip eliminater so I can have an easier time on the trail.

Comment

Working...
                              X