Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter for tf999

I can't seem to find a shifter that will work with the 999 transmission that I am putting in my jeep. I don't know much about it but, I guess it isn't the normal connection. any help would be great.
    '79 cj7, SOA. shackle reverse, custom cage, flow master, holly carb, 35" maxxis tires, custom bumpers and rockers, dana 44's locked, bead locks

Look up Lokar, pretty sure they have something for you. If not, then I would imagine that any cable shifter would work, B&M or Hurst. www.jegs.com or www.summitracing.com
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I know very little about this but for some reason a regular cable shifter won't work. Some sort of two part shift mechanism?
      '79 cj7, SOA. shackle reverse, custom cage, flow master, holly carb, 35" maxxis tires, custom bumpers and rockers, dana 44's locked, bead locks

Comment

I'll take a look at my TJ 999 tomorrow. It its 2 levers on top of one another (like most torqueflite trannys) then the top lever is kickdown and the bottom lever is for the shifter, IIRC.

where did the info come from that says you cant use a cable shifter?
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I have a 32rh trans and use a B&M shifter (detent type) and only problem Ive had was broken cable. I went to 6ft to get better radius on the bends

YJRUSS

Comment

I am trying a art carr shifter. It hasn't come yet but they don't have any info on the 999. they say the shifter will work on a 904 which is very similar. On a related subject. Do you have to have the kick down connected on the 999. Will anything be damaged if you don't?

Comment

if I rember correctly the kick down works off the throttle linkage and there is a seperate cable that goes from the throttle body down to the tranny. dont think that not having it hooked up would hurt anything but would be a major inconvience

yjruss

Comment

Originally posted by cannon View Post
                I am trying a art carr shifter. It hasn't come yet but they don't have any info on the 999. they say the shifter will work on a 904 which is very similar. On a related subject. Do you have to have the kick down connected on the 999. Will anything be damaged if you don't?
                Lokar makes a nice tail mounted shifter for the 904/999 (the case is the same at the rear where it bolts up). There is no cable, it's a linkage and the shifter feels very positively connected (because it is!) with no slop. I don't remember what the Art Carr one looks like, is it cable actuated? You must have the kickdown connected and properly adjusted or it will not shift properly and you will not only not be happy with the performance (it will shift waaay early), but you can also damage the valve body. Lokar makes a cable that can be made to work with the CJ throttle linkage pretty easily. I just welded a stud to the bracket to mount the cable to, but I think you could probably take the bracket off and drill a hole for the same purpose. The factory CJ linkage is a metal rod, but I could not make it work with the body lift, motor mount lift, header, and other mods to the Jeep.
                1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I ordered the lokar kickdown cable. Looks like a good set up and since I was planning on building a linkage my self the fifty bucks seamed like a pretty good deal. I saw there shifter and I will be my second choice if a don't get the art carr. Where does it come through the floor. It looked like it's mounted all the way on the back of the tranny. Isn't that back between the seats? Thanks for the kickdown info. For some reason info on this tranny is hard to come by.

Comment

Rick
                    Thanks for posting up on the kick down cable. I was thinking that was for when in higher gear tranny would know to down shift because of the throtle postion. Makes sense that it would use that same info for shifting up thru the gears.

yjruss

Comment

Definitely right about the kick down cable. I got the lokar and now after six weeks of waiting (and no wheel'n) my art carr shifter had finally showed up . I hope to install the thing over the week end and do shake down trip. With new springs, axles, tranny, diff, widening kit, lockers and rims there is bound to be some things to work out!!

Comment

Best of luck on your shake down run, give a post and let us know how the shifter and everything else works!

yjruss:thumbs_up

Comment

I'd like to see a parts list and some more talk about this kickdown cable thing,

I got a 5spd, and I was thinkin about switching to the 999auto, because the auto offroad is like, cheating... but everybodys doing it, right? so it's ok... so I want to cheat to.

why does everything have to be so hard?!
                          :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

I haven't put the kickdown cable in yet maybe tomorrow. But it is a lokar part. I called lokar and they said to by it from Jegs. I can get you the part number that they recommended because they don't make one that says it's for the 999, but they do make one that will work. As far as the shifter about half the people that I talk to say that the art carr will work and half say no. I will find out tomorrow. There is a lokar shifter that is made for the 999 but, I don't think that it is as nice as the Art Carr. It will be my second choice if the the A C doesn't work for some reason. Any other questions about this install please ask.

Comment

Working...
                            X