Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-gear

need info on re gear cost and places to get it done...oh, 30/35 3.73 going to 4.56...

Do you really want to run a 4.56 in a D35? Its way easy to chew up that ring gear like that...
    but if you talk to "peteyg" or "elusive" here on the board they do gear jobs for a pretty decent price if i remember right...
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Sacramento is a bit far for us, but a gear job, in a shop, will run you between $1100 - $1300, total, including all of the parts and materials.
      '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

huh, i didnt even pay attention to his location. but yeah if you go to 4 wheel parts or something like that they'll rape you. I would try to search around for a smaller shop and get quotes from a couple places.
        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
          Do you really want to run a 4.56 in a D35? Its way easy to chew up that ring gear like that...
          What do you mean?...

Comment

When you run a 4.56 in a D35 the ring gear is really small so its easy to chew it up and waste a gear job like that. The way I would do it is get a better axle, that way when you drop $1000 to regear, its on something thats gonna last for a while... Im sure other people or a search could educate you more, but thats the jist of it...

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

i have 4.56's in my 30/35 with a true-trac in front and a Detroit locked in back on 31's have not had any problems with them
              The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                When you run a 4.56 in a D35 the ring gear is really small so its easy to chew it up and waste a gear job like that.
                I thought that as you go to lower gearing, the ring gear stays the same, and the pinion gear gets smaller??? Either way, it would increase the risk of breakage.
                If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
                  I thought that as you go to lower gearing, the ring gear stays the same, and the pinion gear gets smaller??? Either way, it would increase the risk of breakage.
                  Think about that for a sec...

In order for the pinion gear to get smaller, the ring gear HAS to get bigger. They still need to mesh. If the pinion got smaller but the ring gear stayed the same, then they would have progressively bigger gaps as you went higher (numerically) in your gear ratio, or you would have to change the carrier with EVERY gear change.

However, here are some truths:

The ring and pinion on a D35 is not THAT much smaller than a D44, and is a lot bigger than a d30. I'll have to dig some out for comparison and I'll take a pic if I get that motivated (they're all boxed up right now).

The big issue with the d35 is and always will be the weak axle shafts combined with the C-clip design which makes it way unhappy when you add bigger tires and lockers.

Going numerically higher in gear ratio always brings up the risk of a weaker pinion shaft, but that would be the least of my concerns in a d35 with 4.56's.
                  '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

You might consider a Super 35 kit too.
                    Here's really the question, how large of a tire and what kind of trans do you have? (not in your profile)

B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by peteyg View Post
                      In order for the pinion gear to get smaller, the ring gear HAS to get bigger. They still need to mesh. If the pinion got smaller but the ring gear stayed the same, then they would have progressively bigger gaps as you went higher (numerically) in your gear ratio, or you would have to change the carrier with EVERY gear change.
                      It's amazing what you can find on Google. The D35 ring gear diameter remains constant at 7-9/16" but the number of teeth on the ring gear and on the pinion gear change:

Ratio[COLOR="White"]....[/COLOR]Teeth
                      3.55[COLOR="White"].....[/COLOR]39-11
                      3.73[COLOR="White"].....[/COLOR]41-11
                      4.10[COLOR="White"].....[/COLOR]37-9
                      4.56[COLOR="White"].....[/COLOR]41-9
                      4.88[COLOR="White"].....[/COLOR]44-9
                      5.13[COLOR="White"].....[/COLOR]41-8

Source: http://www.precisiongear.com/dana35.htm
                      If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                      KI6MLU

Comment

I knew someone could educate you better on this topic. But like I said, id go to a better axle first then spend $1000+ on gears ONCE...

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
                          It's amazing what you can find on Google. The D35 ring gear diameter remains constant at 7-9/16" but the number of teeth on the ring gear and on the pinion gear change:

Ratio[COLOR="White"]....[/COLOR]Teeth
                          3.55[COLOR="White"].....[/COLOR]39-11
                          3.73[COLOR="White"].....[/COLOR]41-11
                          4.10[COLOR="White"].....[/COLOR]37-9
                          4.56[COLOR="White"].....[/COLOR]41-9
                          4.88[COLOR="White"].....[/COLOR]44-9
                          5.13[COLOR="White"].....[/COLOR]41-8

Source: http://www.precisiongear.com/dana35.htm
                          It's not the diameter of the ring gear that makes it stonger or weaker as you change ratios, it's the thickness. And as the number of teeth on the pinion gear gets smaller, so does the actual size of the pinion gear. That's what makes it weaker.

Comment

03 TJ with NP231 and 5 speed going to 33" BFG AT tires and steel wheels. 30 up front 35 in the rear. No lockers.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWolfTJ View Post
                              03 TJ with NP231 and 5 speed going to 33" BFG AT tires and steel wheels. 30 up front 35 in the rear. No lockers.
                              If you drive with a light right foot you should be fine. No gurantees though
                              :wink:

Comment

Working...
                              X