Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I torched the YJ.

I'm not sure who else got that HORRENDOUS sandstorm like we did here in Twentynine Palms on Thursday. But, I drove the YJ to work that morning and a.) didn't have the top on it, even though I don't have doors anyway. And b.) apparently my intake wasn't bolted down very tight. I had to drive out to the training camp here on base (about 10 miles) and the Jeep was NOT liking the drive (neither was I).

I figured a new airfilter was going to be in order and I lifted the hood to inspect what was making the engine stall at idle. I figured it would be a clogged air filter and after a replacement or banging it out things would be fine.

What I discovered was a VERY loose intake housing and that dirt and all that crap blowing around was able to bypass the filter and headed straight into the carb and down into the engine. So I figure best case scenario is just rebuild/clean the carb; more likely is that I've fried the rings, and I'm going to have to tear the whole engine apart.

A friend is bringing his compression tester by on Sunday morning and we'll know more then. But in the mean time, I guess I'll be driving the Valdez around even though the body is shorn in half. (Not sure if shorn is a word, but it's past tense for shear. My grammar OCD is kicking in.)
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

waiting to hear. But I wouldn't think that much would have gotten in there.
    "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
    (Charles Wells)

Comment

We had a REALLY BIG sand storm out here.

Clean it up and drive it. Does it run good other than idle?
      1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

I've got to pedal it to keep it running. When I'm driving, if I press the brakes or let off the gas, it stalls. Also, it's having trouble getting over 50mph.

I'm not sure if I explained it well enough before, but my air filter was non-functioning as the area around the intake for the carb where it meets was wide open and the area was caked in mud & rocks. The linkage was sticking too, but some WD40 took care of that. And spraying off the engine block made a big difference in apprearance too. I can tell exactly where my oil leak is now!
        Last edited by USMC 0369; 04-14-07, 05:32 PM.

Comment

http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/carter.html

BBD carb? The ahve idle problems and the sand will not help any... you are not going to do any more damage to it so...
          1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Originally posted by Davisrats View Post
            http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/carter.html

BBD carb? The ahve idle problems and the sand will not help any... you are not going to do any more damage to it so...
            Tons of thanks for passing that on to me. I've printed it out and will be looking into it tomorrow morning after the compression test. I will probably end up doing this even if I did fry the rings and have to replace them... of course instead of replacing the rings I know a guy with a 351M he's trying to get rid of...

Comment

Great News!

Compression is fine on the YJ. "this morning" turned into 2:30 in the afternoon, but hey, I didn't have to buy a compression tester.

Anyway, I got a little 'schooled' or 'scolded' by my buddy about coming all the way out here to test compression when I didn't have any tell-tale signs of burnt rings. Like the huge plume of blue smoke I should have expected when I started it up. Turns out the engine has great compression and holds it very well. After reading the article that Ron sent me and watching the carb at idle... yup... drip, drip, drip at idle.

So went out and grabbed a rebuild kit (since I'll need gaskets anyway, might as well just overhaul it) and some new plugs (just needed them anyway). Maybe get to this project on Monday or Tuesday.

Comment

Why is the CJ half-dicated?
                WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
                [_____]
                (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                []--o---[]

Comment

Originally posted by YJwonderboy View Post
                  Why is the CJ half-dicated?
                  The floor pan in the CJ is about gone, the only thing holding it together was the kick panels. When I took it offroading, the frame twisted and the body cracked.

Comment

Working...
                  X