X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header...

I bought Shirley with a cracked header:

I pulled it off, and it looked like this:

I replaced it with a $99 eBay special... Now, I hear what I believe to be an exhaust leak again, but I can't see any cracks.

Is there a good way to diagnose an exhaust leak other than visual inspection? I've tried downshifting to see if I hear popping, and nothing...

Any suggestions on what I should buy if this is the problem? I've read lots of hate for banks/borla saying they crack too and the cheapie w/ 'expansion joints' works the best. What's your opinion?
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

I'll be happy to look at it for you at calico this weekend. When you left on saturday I didnt hear anything out of the ordanary, but I'll see what I can do. As for a replacement, the header you one is the one with the flex joints in it. There is no reason to spend the dough on a gibson/borla/banks etc, they all crack the same. I HAD a gibson, which was replaced under warrenty and promplty sold, which I replaced with a stocker.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
      I'll be happy to look at it for you at calico this weekend. When you left on saturday I didnt hear anything out of the ordanary, but I'll see what I can do. As for a replacement, the header you one is the one with the flex joints in it. There is no reason to spend the dough on a gibson/borla/banks etc, they all crack the same. I HAD a gibson, which was replaced under warrenty and promplty sold, which I replaced with a stocker.
      Good good good! Thanks Chris! I'll definitely wait until this weekend before clicking "buy" on a header!

Comment

30,ooo miles i replaced it with a borla and have had no prim probably too late.i run my tj pretty hard. i cracked my headers at around oblems .im at 97,000 miles right now and couldnt be happier.

Comment

can you put the front wrap around header from the newer TJ's on the YJ 4.0? I am looking to get a new header to replace my cracked stocker... 176,000 miles on the stocker though...
          :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

most of the time the resson that most people think they have an exhaust leak and have headers it is caused by the gasket not getting a good seal, a good way to check is is tightin down all the bold when the motor s cold, then run it to normal temp and check the bolts agien, its common to have bolts streching from the heat. hope this helps
            -keep jeepin

Comment

Originally posted by PA-XJ2 View Post
              most of the time the resson that most people think they have an exhaust leak and have headers it is caused by the gasket not getting a good seal, a good way to check is is tightin down all the bold when the motor s cold, then run it to normal temp and check the bolts agien, its common to have bolts streching from the heat. hope this helps
              -keep jeepin
              I guess I should have dug this up and re-posted... Thanks for the tip, but this last Monday (4 days ago) I replaced my header again. This is what it looked like this time:

Quiet as can be now! I only hear tires & wind!

Comment

I'm having Header problems too... I think I'm just going to go with the eBay special though...the one that's on there lasted a good 130,000mi. I'm sure I'll need a new engine before the next 130,000 are done.
                [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Desert_Valdez View Post
                  I'm having Header problems too... I think I'm just going to go with the eBay special though...the one that's on there lasted a good 130,000mi. I'm sure I'll need a new engine before the next 130,000 are done.
                  (a) You'd be surprised the stories of Mileage I hear out of these 4L engines.

(b) This time I bought the one from here: http://www.carpartstoyourdoor.com/ It seems to fit a little better. The first one I put on I had to really pull on the downpipe and rest of the exhaust to get it to meet the header collector, but this one fit a little better. Maybe this one won't crack in less than a year and less than 12,000 miles!

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                    (a) You'd be surprised the stories of Mileage I hear out of these 4L engines.
                    Thats for sure... im at 197K and still runnin hard and DD'n everyday.
                    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Is there a good way to diagnose an exhaust leak other than visual inspection? I've tried downshifting to see if I hear popping, and nothing...
                      Another way in finding the jeep exhaust system leak is the smell inside car. These cars normally get great gas mileage and don't even make a smell from exhaust so if you smell anything something is wrong. So that's the time you need to diagnose an exhaust leak other than visual inspection without pulling it off.

Comment

Working...
                      X