Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-Case teardown

So as posted before, I ran into some horrendous noises comming from my T-case last month. Well I decided to tear it down to see if the damage was in between the main casing to the driveshaft. Because if it was, I could do a repair while also accomplishing an upgrade to a Slip Yoke Eliminator. I decided to do this with my T-case still installed as I was not planning to get too crazy with the teardown.

Got under the YJ, removed the slip yoke and rear driveshaft and WOW! Was I amazed by what I saw as I continued to tear down. Here are some pics....anyone ever experience this before?

As I got to the housing under the tailcone, I turned it by hand and I heard some loose metal rattling behind the casing:

I heard the noise again as I removed the "speedo controller", so I looked inside the housing where the speedo was......and I saw this:

Yes, that is a metal ring around the shaft in there.

So I removed the next housing in hopes to figure out what that was.....

This was my finding:

It looks as though the bearing race actually "forced" out the housing that was supporting it.

Looks like I will get to install a SYE. Already ordered/paid for it....just waiting for it to get here.

I would love to hear comments on this. Anyone ever run ito this before?
    F

'95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed
    SOA, 33" BFG Mud Terrains
    Custom Rock Sliders
    Warn 8000# Winch

hmmmm, thats interesting. Is it a bearing retainer or something. I've never seen that happen before.

:confused:
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Is it steel or aluminumum? Did it come off the back of the oil pump housing? Creative shimming by a former owner?

Comment

From the looks of it, it was a bearing retainer that was a part of the housing itself. If you look closely at the pictures, you can see the rough marks where it was at.

All I can figure is that the load that the increased angle that my driveline had on the T-Case (due to the springover) forced the bearing backwards, and the housing just gave in.

That "ring" was metal that was the T-Case housing as far as I can tell. :confused:
        F

'95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed
        SOA, 33" BFG Mud Terrains
        Custom Rock Sliders
        Warn 8000# Winch

Comment

Working...
        X