Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
    A turbo forces more air in, but that's not where you get your power. Having more air allows you to also put in more fuel. Putting a turbo in will not give you better mileage because you'll be burning more fuel. Don't think that "the engine won't have to work as hard to push the vehicle, and therefore I'll get better mileage" because that simply isn't true. You will likely see no increase in MPG, and more than likely a decrease. You will however, have a lot more power!!!

Thats not entirely true. If you have a heavy foot then yes you will use a hella lot more gas, but if you drive nice and easy then a turbo can help in gas mileage. But it also depends on the amount of power you want to run... the more power you want, the more gas you will use, and the harder on things that it will be.

I'm building a turbo'ed Honda Hatch, and a friend of mine has a turbo'ed Civic. My friends Civic is pushing 275whp@7psi which is 110 over stock with his motor swap. If he stays in the throttle he is down to about 12-15mpg, but if he drives like a normal human being he still averages around 35mpg.

Another thing that determines your power and gas mileage is what turbo you use. A turbo that spools too fast will be in boost at lower rpm's, which could in turn cause you to use more gas since your running in boost while on the highway. But if you run a turbo that spools at higher rpm's then you wont have that extra power unless your running high r's.

I'm not exactly sure how a Jeep would work out with a turbo, theres a lot of tuning involved with my Honda just to get it running properly and efficient. It's more work than people realize, and takes a lot of dedication and maintenance to keep a turbo'ed motor running right.
    Yellow 01 Sport
    4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

Comment

Reguardless of what your or your friends Honda gets... A turbo = bigger injectors and fuel pump which = more gas consumption.
      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin92 View Post
        ...I'm building a turbo'ed Honda Hatch, and a friend of mine has a turbo'ed Civic. My friends Civic is pushing 275whp@7psi which is 110 over stock with his motor swap. If he stays in the throttle he is down to about 12-15mpg, but if he drives like a normal human being he still averages around 35mpg.
        35mpg? I'm not buying it...

Although, if it did... maybe I should get a pos honda... "How Odd, No Damned Acceleration" might not be so true with a nice turbo!
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I agree with what SWBooking said earlier...and I will elaborate on my previous post. In a jeep you want low end power...a turbo needs higher RPMs to properly spool. So, keeping those high RPMs, could be dangerous, and that sudden boost of power once the turbo does spool up...can be dangerous, and just plain hazardous towards your Jeep's parts. So...if you want any kind of forced air...go supercharger, it's an even flow...and even with it being belt driven, it's adding far more horsepower to your motor than it's taking away!
          WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
          [_____]
          (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
          []--o---[]

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
            35mpg? I'm not buying it...

Although, if it did... maybe I should get a pos honda... "How Odd, No Damned Acceleration" might not be so true with a nice turbo!

have you driven your jeep lately? i get little to no accel..my buddys hondas smoke me off the line, but give me 10 inches of snow and they aint got nothing on the jeep, and im fine with that.

Comment

Originally posted by YJwonderboy View Post
              I agree with what SWBooking said earlier...and I will elaborate on my previous post. In a jeep you want low end power...a turbo needs higher RPMs to properly spool. So, keeping those high RPMs, could be dangerous, and that sudden boost of power once the turbo does spool up...can be dangerous, and just plain hazardous towards your Jeep's parts. So...if you want any kind of forced air...go supercharger, it's an even flow...and even with it being belt driven, it's adding far more horsepower to your motor than it's taking away!
              I agree. I was going to add this but you beat me to it haha.
              Yellow 01 Sport
              4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

Comment

How any forced induction is applied to automotive engines is such a complicated subject that I think there are probably many books about it. I had a Subaru WRX that had incredible low end torque for a 2.0L engine, largely due to having a relatively small, quick spooling turbo. The turbo would actually restrict net engine combustion gas throughput at high (6,000+) rpm in this case. The engine would lose it's legs at higher rpms, but pulled like a pissed off donkey until then. In the case of a Jeep application, there are several companies doing it now and I suspect that the cost and trouble with tuning might far outweigh the benefits, particularly when applied to an engine that is not designed for increased combustion chamber pressures to begin with. This limits the possible boost before meltdown, so it makes it a case of diminishing returns. You would likely have to spend about the same amount of money (or more?) properly spec'ing and building the engine internals as you would building a stroker. A stroker will get you upwards of 300 ft-lb, so why use forced induction and get the added complexity? There is no such thing as a "properly" designed turbo that bolts on to an engine that was originally designed to be normally aspirated. If you really want to spend a few thousand bucks and still get good mileage, buy a used Saturn and swap in a junkyard 4.0L...
                1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Rick made it real clear here, so I'll only add this: stay away from fancy induction systems for your Jeep. Without going into a disertation, your engine was not designed for high input induction, nor was the rest of the drive line. Build the power into the engine so you can use it. Keep it simple too. Unless you're filthy rich! Either an engine swap or a quality rebuild/stroker is your best bet. Rule of thumb when modifying any vehicle; for every power increasing mod you make to the engine, plan on one for the transmission, transfer case, differentials, brakes... get the idea?
                  Rat
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

turbos

I'd suggest checking out http://www.cartech.net/jeepturbo.htm . My co-worker showed me some stuff there. Also, you'll want to find a turbo from something of a similar engine size, like one from a '85 Dodge Daytona. That's what I'm going to do. You need to make sure that you get a turbo that doesn't push too much boost or the engine can't tolerate it... 15psi is probably pushing the limits. BTW: Cartech claims 222 rwhp with their kits.

Hope that you can make it work, good luck.
                    Last edited by utah_redneck; 04-25-07, 12:01 PM. Reason: forgot to add info
                    MY JEEP ROCKS... DOES YOURS'?

Redneck small talk:
                    D'jeet? No, d'ju? Yump-to? Aiaght.

Comment

Working...
                    X