Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• junkyard turbo?

instead of paying sevral grand for a turbo kit for my jeep couldent i just go to a pick a part and buy one thats used and compatable? are their any turbos from small cars that are? i know eagle talons have turbo's and i could get one cheap, i know a guy who put one on his 4cyl mustang, would i be able to do the same??? would it take alot of work??? Any ideas or suggestions would be appretiated

Thanks,

Hurricane

You dont even know how much work it is...

Youd have to make custom exhaust manifold, BOV, find a spot for an intercooler, all the vac lines to it, oil lines, etc... theres a lot of work. Heres a link to one on NAXJA of a guy that turboed his 4.0
    http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...light=turbo+XJ
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

That, and if you're going to be doing any real offroading, turbo spool offroad can be dangerous!
      WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
      [_____]
      (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
      []--o---[]

Comment

that guys turbo cost him less than 2 grand, and all the kits are for like 4+ and in US dollars, so i might be able to do it for cheaper here, my sisters bf is an accomplished mechanic, im sure me and him could make it, i just want more power!!!! and i dont want to engine swap cause i like the mpg of the 4 banger as compared to a 4.0L or a small block v8

Comment

Originally posted by The-Hurricane View Post
          that guys turbo cost him less than 2 grand, and all the kits are for like 4+ and in US dollars, so i might be able to do it for cheaper here, my sisters bf is an accomplished mechanic, im sure me and him could make it, i just want more power!!!! and i dont want to engine swap cause i like the mpg of the 4 banger as compared to a 4.0L or a small block v8
          A turbo forces more air in, but that's not where you get your power. Having more air allows you to also put in more fuel. Putting a turbo in will not give you better mileage because you'll be burning more fuel. Don't think that "the engine won't have to work as hard to push the vehicle, and therefore I'll get better mileage" because that simply isn't true. You will likely see no increase in MPG, and more than likely a decrease. You will however, have a lot more power!!!
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

so i wasnt worried about mpg, i know a turbo wont make it better, but it will still be better than a 4.0L or a v8, thats all, getting the turbo has nothing to do with mpg, all about the power

Comment

well if its all about power then swap out the 2.4L for a stroked 4.0 or a V8. Did you see how intricate it was to make the exhaust manifold? Its not your everyday easy weld this or that. and It cost him $2000, but do you know how much time it took to source parts, and build everything. Time = money. It probably ended up costing way more.

And if you search on the arguments of the 2.4 Vs. the 4.0 youll see the MPG is NOT that big of a differance, especially if you have to constantly keep the 2.4 at high RPMs for power as opposed to having the 4.0 in a lower RPM range.
              |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

interesting...but if im doing it in my spare time when all i would be working on is the jeep anyways, my time dont cost a cent

Comment

and for off-roading your gonna want your power to come from the lower RPM range. With a turbo your power is going to come from the mid to high RPM range...

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

too true, how did u get so clever??? i didnt even think of any of this, i just thought up the idea, but none of the consiquences

Comment

haha i spend WAY TOO much time on the forums. Im def. a Jeepaholic. but yeah the idea does sound pretty cool.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

im on here every second i have a chance, if im not working or sleeping or jeepin im on the forums, i leave the browser running so i dont think ive been logged out for like 3 weeks now, im always online. checking old threads, learning as much as i can, i just bought a haynes manual today for ym jeep, hopefully now i will be able to fix everything, and i changed my oil, it was a good day

Comment

wrenchin always makes it a good day cool man have fun with it.
                          -Allen

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

o i will, drove through 2 feet of water yesterday, it was fun..damn i dont get out much

Comment

As much as some people are going to hate it, I've learned more on other forums, than I have here. I like MJR for the community and personality.

Not that there aren't VERY knowledgeable people here, just that there isn't the extensive amount of "newb" posts that can answer a lot of questions, and become in depth. Some other jeep forums will have a couple hundred posts an hour just in a "TJ" section for example. You spend a lot of time there (even if it's just lurking, rather than posting) you'll learn a ton!

As with anything, don't believe everything you read on other forums (or here for that matter) as with Jeeping, there's not always one correct solution!
                              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X