Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rubicon axles

ok ,so i bought a set of rubicon axles with the factory lockers.now my question is this.do i have to use the factory wiring and compressor to power the lockers? i would like to be able to set up on-board air as well would this be possable or would it be too problematic?

the rubicon lockers use a low presure actuator and use very low preasure pumps, 1 each for each axle.

http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/...Code=Wrangler1

that is a link to where you can order a set on a factory bracket to bolt right on, as far as wiring, I beleive they sell the enire loom and switch set up on that site also
    censored for having an opinion

Comment

You would be able to use an OBA system, you'd just have to buy a pretty good pressure regulator and set it to the low pressure the factory lockers require. If you give them too much pressure, you'll probably break something (seals, o-rings, etc.)!
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

i guess ill have a better idea once i see them.the low pressure thing boggles my mind .i can only see them doing that to save on production costs.they actually use 2 compressors front and rear.seem kind of foolish when one could potentially do the job.does anyone know who produces the factory air lockers? it seems odd to me that they would set them up this way.does anyone have a fresh perspective?

Comment

The Rubi axles use 6 (six) psi for actuation, which is why they use seperate actuators. It's just not that hard to make 6 psi, so they don't need a big complicated air system. You will blow up the seals in the locker if you overpressure it. It's better to get the factory setup and not worry about it. It's very easy to setup, and then it's done. Also, if you have leaks in your oba system, or if it ever fails for any reason, you're stuck without lockers, too. I know a LOT of guys with ARBs who run OBA AND the ARB compressor, for just this reason.
          '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

outstanding ,thats the kind of stuff i need to know.thanks. one other thing will i ahve to alter the drive shaft?
            Last edited by irishjeeper; 03-12-07, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by irishjeeper View Post
              outstanding ,thats the kind of stuff i need to know.thanks. one other thing will i ahve to alter the drive shaft?
              You will definately have to shorten the front drive shaft. I had a 4.5" LA lift and had to cut 2" out, probably could have taken 3".

If you have a D35, you may have to shorten the rear as well. Won't know for sure if or how much until you get stuff in place.

You will also need 1310/1330 combo U-joints front and rear.

There is a lot of information in this thread.

Comment

I did this a few months back, it is not hard to do and you definately want to use the stock air pumps because they are much easier to deal with. They shut off by themselves when locked, only takes like 2 seconds. If you need any help let me know. Also, you just need the pumps, you can use airline from the hardware store and wire each pump seperately to somekind of toggle switch and to power source, this way you can operate them individually.

toggle switches

pumps fabbed under my seat to feal the pumps come on and off.

Comment

thanks ,im sure ill be in touch.

Comment

Rubicon Lockers into a TJ

Hey I did this, and I used the Lockers, Pumps, two Rear Window Defrost Switches, and that is it.

The wiring configuration allows the driver to turn on the lockers independently, and in any drive. 2wd 4wd high and 4wd low. It is a cool set up and I went through a bunch of pain and research to make it work.

I can give connector part numbers that are used for the pumps to the instrument cluster, along with how to wire your TJ so that the lights in the instrument panel come on when you are engaged.

If you think you are interested I can walk you through it.
                    Last edited by wwprice881; 03-26-07, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Factory Pumps

Originally posted by peteyg View Post
                      The Rubi axles use 6 (six) psi for actuation, which is why they use seperate actuators. It's just not that hard to make 6 psi, so they don't need a big complicated air system. You will blow up the seals in the locker if you overpressure it. It's better to get the factory setup and not worry about it. It's very easy to setup, and then it's done. Also, if you have leaks in your oba system, or if it ever fails for any reason, you're stuck without lockers, too. I know a LOT of guys with ARBs who run OBA AND the ARB compressor, for just this reason.
                      Actually it is pretty hard to blow the seals if you over pressurize the system. There is a metal tube that you connect the compressors to, on the inside there are two metal tubes bridged with a rubber hose.

When you place too much air to the system the little rubber hose blows off one side of the metal tubes. It is kind of a safety valve to protect the system. Then your locker is not going to work.

The best thing is the factory pumps and this gives you the correct pressure. The factory pumps shut off once they reach pressure, or at least mine do on mine.

Comment

On the subject of rubicon axles...does anyone know the axles weigh? I need accurate numbers for an upcoming project....
                        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Working...
                        X