Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 8.8 install

Well this axle has been sitting in my back yard forever and a half.

Even after a coin wash there was plenty of dried mud left from Nightmare Gulch.

Starting pulling my axle out and remembered I'm a little lower in the rear and my shackle would hit my frame at compression.

So to relieve my droop problem, the 8.8 causing me so loose 1.5"(?), and the shackle bang problem I decided to (booger, been a while since I picked up the mig) weld these shackle hangers on. If by chance this gives me too much height I've got some other options up my sleeve.

More to come.
    “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
    -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

What was this axle out of again? And what did you do to the internals (if anything)?

Last edited by USMC 0369; 03-04-07, 09:37 PM.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

I've been wanting an 8.8 after I do my motor swap. Freakin' 4cyl just AINT enough power. I'll be watching and learning!
      WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
      [_____]
      (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
      []--o---[]

Comment

sidenote:
        never use an oily rag as a welding blanket
        :fire:

Comment

Originally posted by paulhead View Post
          sidenote:
          LOL! Im sure that was fun...
          |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

sidenote:
            heh, heh, fire, FIRE!!!
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

sidenote:
              I knew this would be a fun thread to follow.

Comment

Life, work, kids, no time to work on my Jeep! So I snuck in a few hours this week, mostly trying to figure out how to weld in tight spots without getting hot molten metal down my shirt or in my ears. Got some u-bolt plates from Rustys, they did'nt fit mostly because I got 9/16 monster u-bolts but the holes (centers) measuring 3.5" and the axle tube being 3.25" in diameter I don't see how they would've worked with 1/2" u-bolts. Anyway ovaled the holes, blah.

My shackle hanger idea was looking decent so far, waiting for end weight results.

Adusting the pinion angle, centering the axle which has the pumpkin offset by 1.5" (?)

Final pic with the jeep sitting on it's own weight looking very even. I measured the body height from the ground at the front & rear and it's only 1/2" higher in the rear, not bad for just eyeing it out. The front use to sit 1 or 2" higher before.

Sneak peek with some 35x14.5x15 Boggers I got for a good price used. Yes, 14.5" wide. Ought to be fun to see how much sheet metal I'm gonna have to chop off. :bart: It's probably gonna sit like that till next week, did'nt even tak weld the spring perches, gonna' deal with it next week. :homer:

Comment

Lookin good Paul! Glad to see Dora is going her part. :thumbs_up

Comment

so thats what it looked like before the mud bath. looking good!
                    [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

You can ditch the boom shackle for a straight one that's stock length now, you can't hit the crossmember any more.
                      I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

So my jeep is sitting in the backyard looking perty pretending to have an 8.8 in it but a few weeks later I decided it was time (finally having found the time) to actually spot weld the spring perches on by how they were sitting after setting the pinion angle perfect. Then I realized I never grinded any paint off the axle or the perches. Also I noticed that they were robbing me of about an inch of lift, so I decided to gring them down.

I also chose to use the stock brake lines then adding a braided extension I had to make for a pretty long soft line but better long than too short. Nothing a carb spring can't fix.

Also I went ahead and hooked up my stock parking brake cable, somthing I saw HERE. I had to loosen the cable all the way down but when I finally engaged it it felt nice and tight.

So what I have left is to bleed the air out of the lines and maybe try to take it for a test drive around the block to see how things feel. I still have the stock 3.55's in it so it should be interesting, like I said , around the block. Gointg to 4.88's soon as I can get it over to dudes shop. What I still have left (sitting in my garage) is a 1 ton steering, 1" body lift, a Ramsey winch I have to mount, and some other doodads. Gonna' find me a Durango steering box which I heard (on JU) is a good solid replacement for my stock one considering it's leaking pretty bad. Gonna' beef up my front DS too, make a spare rear DS out of an XJ one too. Any suugestions or anything I may have forgot please mention it , I did most of this off the top of my head, did'nt read as many write ups as I maybe should have.:homer:

Comment

Finally bled the brakes and took it for a test drive, felt good. Did'nt notice all that much of a difference with the 35"s and 3.55 gears. Also stopping was'nt and issue as far as the rear locking up. Feels like I may need to upgrade my booster. Parking brake held real good . Soon the get 4.88's too.

Comment

sidenote:
                            Don't worry, I'll bring my fire extinguisher. Oh, wait. It's in the motor home...
                            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Looking good Paul. You've done a lot of work to her since I saw you last. Can't wait to see how she does out on the trail. Let me know when your'e ready and I'll take pics for you.
                              Looking GOOOOD!

Kurt
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X