Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird noise, and im scared

so, when im sitting idleing, i hear this noise, it sounds like marbles in a dryer, but not very loud, im not in gear, and i dont have the clutch depressed, any ideas what it could be? i hope its nothing serious, i havent had the jeep long, and i dont want to drop money in it, that isnt going towards wheels and tires, or a lift, or w/e i dont want to buy a tranny, or have to rebuild the engine, is this a normal sound? i havent heard it before, but then again today was like the first time i didnt have music going in it since i bought it so it could have been there all along.

please let me know, any thoughts or ideas are considered

Originally posted by The-Hurricane View Post
    so, when im sitting idleing, i hear this noise, it sounds like marbles in a dryer, but not very loud, im not in gear, and i dont have the clutch depressed, any ideas what it could be? i hope its nothing serious, i havent had the jeep long, and i dont want to drop money in it, that isnt going towards wheels and tires, or a lift, or w/e i dont want to buy a tranny, or have to rebuild the engine, is this a normal sound? i havent heard it before, but then again today was like the first time i didnt have music going in it since i bought it so it could have been there all along.

please let me know, any thoughts or ideas are considered
    Try pressing the clutch in to see if you still hear it. I've heard many people say their transmissions sound like a can of marbles when the clutch is out and they're not in gear. The only transmission sounds I get are a nice whirring sound when I downshift to second or first (which I don't do often). If you can still hear it, maybe somebody else will have other suggestions.
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

more information...

Does the speed increase with spped or RPMs?

Tam
      2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
      Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

If the sound quieter or goes away when you press on the clutch pedal id look at the throwout bearing

Comment

sounds like a throw-out bearing to me. Is there a dust cover on the bottom, look for metal shavings or sparks when it's noisy
          '98 TJ, Steve-www.itsajeep.org

Comment

alright, thanks for the advice, heres some more info, when shifting into third and especially fourth it sometimes is louder, umm, its there when the clutch is in, my dad thinks it might be the clutch not fully releaseing or something like that. does that help???

Comment

Working...
            X