Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourque Converter Clutch Error HELP!!

Hi all,

I need help form my fellow Jeepers. I have a 00 TJ Sport I-6, 3 spped automatic. I've been feeling the jeep kind of slugish lately when i accelerate. A few weeks ago, my check engine light turned on. i did a scan on it and returned with error P0740 (TCC Cirtcut Error).

I disconnected my negative side of the batter, which reset the light for about a 80 miles, but now its back on again. The dealer checked it and said that my clutch was locking up (as it is suppose to-what ever that means). I paid them $80 bucks to hear that but then the light went back on again.

When i accelerate from a stop, it kind of jerks slightly when shifting. Can anyone help me please. Do i need a new clutch? Any suggestion will help.

Thanks all,

Roy

Anyone????

Comment

hmmm.. have you check your Jeep clutch master cylinder? this might be causing the problem.. let your mechanic check it before you spend on replacement..

Comment

The torque converter clutch is locking, which has nothing to do with a clutch master cylinder since you have an automatic. The torque converter locks when voltage is applied to the solenoid in the valve body - the connector is on the driver side of the trans. According to the FSM:

"Converter clutch engagement in third gear is controlled by sensnor inputs to the powertrain control module. Inputs that determine clutch engagement are: coolant temperature, vehicle speed, and throttle position. The torque converter clutch is engaged by the clutch solenoid on the valve body. The clutch will engage at approximately 35 mph with light throttle, after shifting to third gear."

The diagnostic table provides the following guidance for the symptom "torque converter locks up in second and/or third gear":

Possible causes: Lockup solenoid, relay, or wiring shorted/open

Correction: Test solenoid, relay, and wiring for continuity, shorts or grounds. Replace solenoid and relay if faulty. Repair wiring and connectors as necessary.

Another one for "Drags or locks up" says that the converter clutch dragging could indicate a plugged cooler, perform flow check, inspect pump for excessive side clearance, replace pump as required.
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Working...
        X