Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unintended acceleration

So my 05 rubi seems to have a mind of its own. I know I need to take it to a dealer, but I'm wondering if this is a common problem or one that I'm just lucky to have. It does the unintended acceleration thing, usually occurs when I'm crawlin at or near idle. Also occurs sometimes when I depress clutch. It revs hard for 1 or 2 seconds and then drops back to idle. Honest, I'm not new to a clutch and this is not a nervous foot accidentally hitting the gas. And no, it is not related to lugging the engine down too low. I bought the Jeep used last summer, it still has less than 5k miles. Anyone seen or heard of this issue on the 4.0 before?
    Mat

No this shouldn't happen and sounds dangerous too. Probably a sensor gone bad.

B&T TJ

Comment

Definitley get it checked out soon. My old S-10 started doing that but I never figured out what it was. It got worse as time went on, higher revs for a longer duration. Nothing like sitting in bumper to bumper traffic or at a stop light and having your engine screaming like its ready to launch. I would shut it off and restart and that stopped it some of the times.
      Dennis
      04 TJ
      4.0/Auto
      RE 4.5 Long Arm
      Rock-It Man Rockers
      33x12.50 BFG A/T
      desert racing stripes, creased oil pan, and a new shiny transmission pan.

Comment

had this similar problem on my yj rebuilt motor , it would only happen when it got hot ,the problemwas the pick up coil on the distributer , it was just about as cheap to replace the whole thing and that is what I did ,has not missed a lick since ,but not sure if your is electronic coil or if does have a distributer so just what I experienced ,Good luck
        A clean jeep is the sign of a sick mind

Comment

ok..... its an 05. Same stock devices intended for emissions control. Yup, normal. Mine does the same thing. When senses a build up of fuel, the high idle kicks in. If you find a way to over ride it, I would love to know what you found.

BobO
          "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
          (Charles Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob View Post
            ok..... its an 05. Same stock devices intended for emissions control. Yup, normal. Mine does the same thing. When senses a build up of fuel, the high idle kicks in. If you find a way to over ride it, I would love to know what you found.

BobO
            Ok, if this is true maybe when I'm idling down a hill I need to stop and rev the engine for a bit to clean it out before continuing? I would rather do that than have it surprise me and rev up just when I want to crawl over something slowly. Anyone else had to deal with this? Oh,,,and thanks for the response! Mat

Comment

Hey all,
              I wanted to bring this up again, in case anyone has any imput to it.
              Thanks,
              BobO
              "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
              (Charles Wells)

Comment

hate to mention another forum but there is information there about this problem that might help
                Rubiconownersforum ROF
                Jeeps Rock & Quads Too!

Comment

Bob, It still does it. I've kinda learned to work with it only because it's not a daily driver, so I don't think of it often. I have read that cleaning some sensors on the throttle body may fix it. If I ever get around to doing that I'll let you know. Mat

Comment

Hey Button, This is what came up at the website...
                    Well Mac managed to break the board... He was posting so much the server could not handle it.

We are currently working on the situation, and will post any updates here. As of now, the site should be back up no later than January 17.

If you have any bookmarks that point directly to certain points of the site, please delete them as all of the paths will be changing.

Thanks for your support!

Hmmm, maybe they should consult with our Sultan of website hardware, Rick.
                    Anyway, thanks for posting... I am confident the problem is not really a problem, just something I have to deal with. Gotta love the smog sensors.
                    (Charles Wells)

Comment

Working...
                    X