Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water leak

Jeep Commanche 4.0, 1989
    when I add water to the radiator all the water comes out of the side of the engine. I looked to see where the water was comming from and there seems to be six holes on the side of the engine; all of them have 2 inch caps but one and all the water is freely flowing out of this huge hole. What is this hole for? Where can I get a replacement cap and what is this cap called? How might this have happened.
    thanks
    Jacque

Bummer man, you popped a freeze plug. The plug is exactly 2.0", so go to your local machine shop or auto parts store (Napa usually has them), and get one. You need to thoroughly clean the old sealer off the block before reinstalling the plug. Use a small brass wheel on a die grinder or dremel so you don't scratch the plug surface. Using a semi-hardening sealer (like Permatex 1C, or ask Napa what they reccomend), put a thin layer around the edge of the plug with your finger and reinstall the plug. You will need something at least 2" in diameter and flat to drive the plug in, do not strike the plug directly or in the middle or you might deform it. Tap the plug in until flush, and then recess it 1/16" into the block with a medium sized flat punch on the edge of the plug (very gently!), making sure not to mar the edge up too much. Of course, this is the correct way, I have also smacked them in with a hammer and never had any problems, but make sure you seal it.

The real question is: Why did it come out? There is often another reason, but it could have simply not been sealed and/or seated well in the block and it just worked loose. Now is a good time to look inside there and see what kind of havoc your coolant is creating inside the block. If you see deposits or dark stuff in there, it is definitely a good idea to flush the system after replacing the plug. Did the engine sit for a long time? Any possibility it froze? That could loosen it up, that is the whole purpose of the plugs. The idea is that the plug will pop out upon the freezing coolant (or water if it's freezing!) expanding rather than cracking the block.

Let us know how it works out.

rick
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

yeah, it worked perfectly. thanks alot
      Jacque

Comment

You're welcome.
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Working...
        X