Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full width axles

Well I've been thinking about swaping my D30 & D35 for a while now, but just recently started thinking about running full width axles on my yj. There are numerous options as far as a hp44 or hp60 front and the same options out back with the addition of the GM 14 bolt, the Ford Sterling 10 1/4, the ford 9", etc. Im kinda inclined to go 60s front and rear with like 37-38" tires. Of course I will be stretching the wheelbase some. Then how to set it up? Leafs are simple so Ill probably stick with them-but should I relocate the spring perches or fab up some outboard spring hangers to match the width of the perches on the axles (if they have them)?
    I have a Jeep

Ok lets start with the front. I installed an 86 D60 and out boarded the spring hangers was the only option. If you can find a front D60 from the late 70's (expensive most times) it will fit without out boarding. I plan in the near future to link and coil over the front.

Rear: Grind off the old perches and install new ones in the proper location (I suggest using the MORE of others long perches to help with axle wrap). I was spring over rear but last year changed to a linked coil over system and it was a huge improvement. HTH
    BTW this is my YJ.

Comment

I did full width axles with a twist. Used D60 front (not hi pinion) and cut about 4" out of it opposite diff side and this let spring perches land under the frame. Commando frame rails are on about 27.5" centers, i think the Chevy 60 stock spring mounts were about 31.5" aparat (hey 31.5-27.5 does = 4) which actually 31.5 may be the same as your YJ? Then i used Ford dana 70 (and d60s) rear which is about 65-65.5 inches wheel mount to wheel mount. oh yeah d60 front about 69.5 wm to wm - 4" = 65.5" (another mathematical success). But all said, if you don't want to do much cutting on the axles you get (assuming junkyard axles and you want full width) and your frame rail centers are 31.5", it seem it would be hard to beat chevy 14 bolt/d60 combo. Outboarding things is usually staightforward to the experienced but it always seems to be a pita in some way although there are some advantages.
      1972 Jeep Commando

Comment

Hackel- Nearly stock huh. Your YJ rocks! What model vehicle did your axles come from? I assume ford if its HP front. 2nd Question did you set up linked rear yourself?
        I have a Jeep

Comment

First off thanks for the comments on my rig. Second that axles are out of an 86 F-350. I pretty much built the rear 4 link/ coilover with my ideas and the help of some freinds in my club. Including a friend that owns Absolute Offraod in Phx. I am very happy with how it works and have completed one year of hard wheeling without a break so we must have done something right (knock on wood.

Comment

I used the Poison Spyder Customs full width kit in putting the Scout D44 in the front of my CJ. Since the Scout axle is only 60.5" WMS to WMS, this turned out to not be the best idea since the tires hit the springs until I installed wheel spacers. I guess my advice is if you're gonna outboard the springs, make sure you keep the axles wide enough. The PSC kit is top notch, and added significant strength to the front of the frame. It was very complete and worth the money, especially if you have a CJ since it significantly stengthens the front of the frame.
            1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
            My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Sorry to steal the thread...but would getting Scout D44's front and rear, legnthing the axle housings, and then having axle shafts made be practical? Can you have alloy shafts made?
              WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
              [_____]
              (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
              []--o---[]

Comment

:confused2

No that wouldnt be practical
                I have a Jeep

Comment

Mine's got full-width Ford axles. HP d44 up front with a radius arm conversion and full width D44 out back with a leaf spring conversion. My buildups are in the Fabricator's Paradise section.
                  '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

I didn't see the buildups there, but am interested how you did the HP 44 in front.
                    I have a Jeep

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboysfc View Post
                      I didn't see the buildups there, but am interested how you did the HP 44 in front.
                      Here ya go:

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6902
                      '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Working...
                      X