Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine problem

I was driving home today and the jeep started lurching forward and almost bucking. It then stalled out, I was able to restart it and then it stalled again and would not start. I let it sit for about 15 minutes and was able to start it and get home. I thought the problem might be the fuel pump so I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge, and the pressure was right on. I had the key turned on but the engine was not running, as i was checking the fuel pressure i could hear a clicking sound coming from the relays, then the pressure gauge started bouncing around. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem or if anyone knows what the problem may be. Any help would be appreciated. my jeep is a 97 4.0 wrangler.

Was the pressure ok for about 3 seconds, and then click nothing? If so, that's normal when the motor is not running.

The first thing that I would do is replace the fuel filter, which I believe is also the pressure regulator on TJ's. Even though you have good pressure when the motor is not runnig, with it running there may not be with a restricted filter - supply and demand.
    '04 Rubicon with all the goodies...
    Jeeperman.com
    DiffsOnly.com

Comment

I had a similar problem with my 97, turn out to be plugged fuel pickup screen. It has a screen inside the tank attached to the fuel pump. It is a one peice unit and very expensive. I think Chris had the same problem on the Rubicon and just removed the screen. I replaced the whole thing, you could see the dirt solid on the screen. It was very obvious once I had it apart.
      T
      456's 2 lockers 4 disc brakes 8.8 lots of skid plates

Comment

Whoever was changing my post is killing me. that was good
        T
        456's 2 lockers 4 disc brakes 8.8 lots of skid plates

Comment

When you pull the tank, don't forget fuel is heavy!
          '04 Rubicon with all the goodies...
          Jeeperman.com
          DiffsOnly.com

Comment

Working...
          X