Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo good or bad idea

hey i just got my first jeep it's a black 98 tj sport manual and i have noticed the lack of mid and top end power and i was woundering if a turbo would solve my power problem.

will the turbo effect the relyablity of my jeep and will i need to upgrade any parts in my drivetrain.

Well yes, the turbo would help the mid-top end power, but thats not really what Jeeps are known for. Well technically, yes the turbo would put a little less life span on the motor, and there are A LOT of things needed to put a turbo on the 4.0. Custom Manifolds, wastegates, intercooler, piping, and much more. And i believe the stock driveterrain would do fine with the upgrade.I would recomend an Avenger Superchager if your loooking to get more power from the mid to top end. Just my 2 cents. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    -Allen
    Last edited by swbooking; 01-04-07, 10:01 PM.
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by strong-6 View Post
      hey i just got my first jeep it's a black 98 tj sport manual and i have noticed the lack of mid and top end power and i was woundering if a turbo would solve my power problem.

will the turbo effect the relyablity of my jeep and will i need to upgrade any parts in my drivetrain.
      Bad idea. Major headache. Expensive. Unreliable.

If you want (lots) more power go for a V8.
      "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

yeah I agree with aston. Do a V8 or a stroker 4.7L. But i guess if you have the time and want to be unique, do it. Search around theres other that have.
        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

I found this in my jp mag.
          Here is the article.
          http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...rbo/index.html
          I Think A Turbocharger 4.7 would be cool.
          Last edited by Ieffem; 01-05-07, 12:20 PM. Reason: link edit

Comment

Here is a pic of one in a 04.

Comment

i have checked into the stroker kit for my truck but does anybody have any info on the turbo charged engine seen in the jeep above

Comment

This place sells a turbo kit for the 4.0L... I thought about it for my Grand Cherokee but strokin the motor is cheaper and you can get more horsepower that way.. www.505performance.com

Comment

Working...
                X