Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh 4x4 problems again...

ok... 92 YJ... so my 4x4 doesnt work at all now... for a while it was having problems staying disconnected, but then it fixed itself... about 4mo ago I was out camping and it was making funny noises like clicking and knocking noises so I stopped using it... about 1mo ago I engaged it cuz it was slippery out and I wasnt moving and had to get out of a intersection and it made a loud howling/grinding noise. It wasnt actually grinding but thats the best I can describe it. I went to take it out of 4x4 and it wouldnt disengage untill I shook the shifter like mad and it finally came out... and today I tried it just to see what happens and theres nothing there, it just stays in 2x4... no noises no nothing. any ideas?

I really wish I could get a TJ or a new Rubicon.... this YJ is beginning to be nothing but problems.
    Yellow 01 Sport
    4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

Yeah well thats a Jeep for you, always somethin haha anyways. When you pull the selector lever do you feel resistance on it or against you? Check the linkage from the selector to the TC if yes. Its the only thing i could think of, thats what happen to mine and i replaced a bushing in the linkage and it works golden again.
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
      Yeah well thats a Jeep for you, always somethin haha anyways. When you pull the selector lever do you feel resistance on it or against you? Check the linkage from the selector to the TC if yes. Its the only thing i could think of, thats what happen to mine and i replaced a bushing in the linkage and it works golden again.
      Nah theres no resistance at all... it feels normal. I will pull it into the garage today and check things out. I have 11days off work for the holidays (WOOHOO!) so I have time to work on it now.

Would a bad vacuum line cause things to sound like that? Like maybe it wasnt getting engaged all the way when it made the noises?
      Yellow 01 Sport

Comment

Sounds like you will be spending your 11 days off, working on your junk. If you dont feel any resistance, then it may well be the linkage. Should be able to see it without too much trouble. May need a helper to shift while you observe.

good luck

Comment

Sorry guys, didn't really realize what I was saying about the resistance... it feels normal when I try to put it in 4x4. It doesnt just slide back without any effort, I still have to kinda tug at it to get it to move just as I always have. But as far as any sticking or anything like that I dont notice anything. But i will check out the linkage later today.
          Yellow 01 Sport

Comment

Check the vacuum disconnect on the long side of the front axle. Is the vacuum line connected at both ends?. Take the cover off and make sure it looks ok inside.
            That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Bachman View Post
              Check the vacuum disconnect on the long side of the front axle. Is the vacuum line connected at both ends?. Take the cover off and make sure it looks ok inside.
              I will check that out in the morning. I think one wheel might be engaging though. I had to pull a friends car today and I wasnt getting traction at all so I put it in 4x4 without thinking about it and I got a little better traction but I could tell it wanst in 4x4 all the way. I didnt have time to look at anythign today so gotta do that tomorrow.
              Yellow 01 Sport

Comment

One wheel should still engage, the drivers side I think...However if the vacuum disconnect is not funtioning it will not engage the coupler behind that boxy housing on the long side/ passenger side of the axle. It could be the coupler that is causing the grinding/ spinning/ popping noises. This is kind of a problem with the YJ's. There are a couple of ways to fix it. 1) pop the cover and fix what ever is wrong, including the hose. 2) replace the vacuum system with a cable accuated system, http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/. 3) replace the passenger side axle with a TJ passenger side axle and forget about.:thumbs_up
                That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Working...
                X