Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ax15 Rebuild Progress

well, i am going fo rit.. i have the guts of this transmission spread out in the garage. i have opened it and begun taking it apart. it seems to be pretty straight forward, just lots of parts, and a strange way to install them. well, below are a few pics of the progress.

the bearing for the input shaft here was relly worn down, and the initial problem.. i think

this shaft was really solid, but it is getting a bew bearing anyway.

well, this is what is left of it with everything removed from it.

here are most of the gears.. this is everything but 5th gear, and reverse gear.
    this is actually a pretty involved deal. i look at it as a good learning experience to say the least
    i hope i can get it back together in working order lol

thank you harbor freight for the much needed bearing splitter. this is used to pull of the bearings that are pressed onto the shaft.

here is a picture of the bearing splitter at work. so far the synchros, and gears look pretty good. there was some obvious wear on the 5th gear synchro. i think that is due to the bad bearing.
    we'll see
    wish me luck!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Looks like fun!! but im sure there is alot of parts. not something i would wanna do for fun! good luck and dont screw up
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Well, i bought a used one on the internet to replace this one with, and it is currently in the jeep, and doing oooook, but just ok. i am preparing to swap my engine out for a fresher 4.0 as well, so i thought i would try my hand at this transmission rebuild. i got the kit for $150 bucks that will replace the bearings, and synchros... so if i butcher it. i am only out the $150 bucks, but on the other hand, if i get it right, i just learned a lot for a small price.
      i'm hoping for the latter
      ERIK

Comment

learning project...great idea
        B R E T T
        87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Erik, just make sure you're checking out the bearing surfaces on the shafts... Too much wear there, and you'll have problems not too far down the road.
          Michael Stowe
          Tin Benders

Comment

Great job with the Photo's Nailer. The detail and angles you got are really good. I've copied those photos and put them in a 'projects' folder for down the road. Your tech Skillz will help me down the road
            Live to fly, fly to live, Aces High

Comment

Originally posted by StitchJones
              Great job with the Photo's Nailer. The detail and angles you got are really good. I've copied those photos and put them in a 'projects' folder for down the road. Your tech Skillz will help me down the road
              you are welcome to use those pictures for whatever you want, but dont go running around calling them "tech skills" just yet.. wait till i get it put back together and make it work first this is an extremely involved job, and my first of its kind, so it is really a gamble
              yesterday i felt like i was really making some good progress until i got to removing this bearing..

i have over 4 hours into it, and have gotten nowhere. i have destroyed 2 of the harbor freight bearing splitter tools in the picture, and it hasnt budged. so now, i have tack welded a couple of rods to the bearing and will attatch a slide hammer to it today to see if that works.. if not, i dont know what the hell i'm going to do. i'll update you later..
              but there was indeed much wear on the synchronizers, which is a good sign (i think) hopefully it indicates that they were the problem.
              we'll see
              now i have this engine sitting on the floor, and want to get on that, and this transmission was really frustrating me yesterday... i hope i can get that bearing off today.
              ERIK

Comment

well, i am back at it today with a press... that is the trick! i had this thing off in about 10 seconds compared to the many hours of frustration yesterday. now i feel like i am making progress i plan to have all of the gears re assembled today, and put the whole tranny back together tomorrow. i'll keep you posted.
                wow, that bearing i was working on yesterday sure looks like an abortion! crap welded to it. HA oh what a difference the right tool makes!
                ERIK

Comment

well, here are some of the latest pictures. i have all of the synchros changed out, and the bearings as well.. tomorrow i'll change the seals, and put it back together. i think this is going to work. the shop manual is awesome. it provisdes great detail.

look at that shiny brass and those sweet bearings. the new bearings are so much tighter than the opnes they replaced. there was obvious wear on the synchros as well, so i'm thinking/hoping this is going to do the trick.

here is another part of the re-assembly of the trans. it went together pretty easily. a big part of this job is to take a few notes, and to label the parts you remove, and where they go. i used an electricinas label book for this. it is lettered stickers, then i referenced the letters on a piece of paper or on the printed pages of the repair manual. so far so good i think

now this picture is a laugh! this bearing had well over 6 chours into its removal before i decided to spring for the press. i broke 3 bearing spliters trying to get this damn thing off. i then welded a couple of nuts to it in an attempt to get it off that way.. just wound up in more broken tools. removing this bearing was by far the most difficult part of this job so far.
                  the bearing cage could not be welded to because it was so hard, so i filled the damn thing up... just a waste of time
                  well... it is off of there now.
                  Last edited by NAILER341; 10-19-03, 10:01 PM.
                  ERIK

Comment

So where's the rest? Did you finish? Run it now? Problems down the road?
                    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

so you have an extra AX15 now... maybe we could do a tranny workshop sometime, I know there are alot of us that would like to rebuild those....
                      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

i have it under the bench with one detent ball that needs to go into it.
                        i have to break open the case, and put the detent ball on the shift rail, and it should be good.
                        it was never tested.
                        ERIK

Comment

Erik,
                          Call me before you go spending $$ on presses and stuff. I have all of that at my shop in Cerritos. I have bearing splitters, presses, torches, BFH's, whatever.
                          Kurt
                          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                            Erik,
                            Call me before you go spending $$ on presses and stuff. I have all of that at my shop in Cerritos. I have bearing splitters, presses, torches, BFH's, whatever.
                            Kurt
                            thanks for the tip!
                            i dont plan on tearing back into that transmission until i have to, or i have an abundance of free time on my hands, which i dont foresee at the moment
                            ERIK

Comment

Working...
                            X