Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mtbikbob
    aston, What do you run in your rig? Would you recommend what your running?
    BTW, still trying to figure out your avatar....slipping on a banana?
    I seem to have little control over my avatar :mad:

I run detroits F and R. On the road they pop and bang occasionally and the rig jumps when I shift but it doesn't bother me (for some strange reason)

Off-road they are very strong and reliable. No screwing around. The only time they sucked was on the slick rock in Moab. I got a 2 low kit to take care of that.
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Detroit seem to be the #1 "full time" locker. I DD mine too so thats not gonna work for me. But thats cool that it doesnt bother you.
      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy
        ... I like the idea of being open 99% of the time, and having the lockers if I need them! I'll probably try to do everything I can unlocked, but if I can't do it unlocked, at least nobody needs to get a strap out!
        I have never quite understood this philosophy. When I go 4 wheelin I am aired down, locked up and ready.
        "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Its fun to see what you can do without them. It just makes it harder which is a little more fun (to some people). Plus its cool to be able to say you ran a trail open when everyone else was locked up.
          |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

ARB reliability is 99% install related.Poorly installed ARB's will fail and leak and the lines get snagged. I have only been out one time when the line failed. I was in Big Bear and the snow was deep enough where it bunched up under the front of the jeep and pushed the line into he exhust and melted it. I taped it together and it engaged the locker, but leaked.
            turning off the ARB's in the snow is a blessing.
            my ARB's have been WELL used. literally over a thousand on/off cycles. I have had to replace the relay twice in 5 years, but last time I bought 2 ($15 part) so I will probably never need one again.
            I filled the diff with mud/sand a couple times and wore the seals out of my rear ARB a few years ago, but I just went to the local hardware store and poped a couple new seals on it.
            It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by aston View Post
              I have never quite understood this philosophy. When I go 4 wheelin I am aired down, locked up and ready.
              Have you never heard the people say they wish they would have stayed shorter/smaller? I see a lot of (ok well... maybe not a lot, but definitely some) people that build their rigs up too much for their type of wheeling and the types of trails they like. Then the trails are too easy for them and it looses some of the fun. I plan on building up my rig but I honestly don't know if I'll ever get extreme enough to do JV, or some of the really hard stuff. I want to keep some of the challenge by being open unless I absolutely need it. I'd like to be able to do all the tough stuff in Big Bear, and some places, but the 99% chance of body damage/roll places aren't for all of us. I know I could put a full cage, and not have to worry (as much) but I just wouldn't see that as fun. Does that help you understand that philosophy a little bit for you?
              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                Have you never heard the people say they wish they would have stayed shorter/smaller? I see a lot of (ok well... maybe not a lot, but definitely some) people that build their rigs up too much for their type of wheeling and the types of trails they like. Then the trails are too easy for them and it looses some of the fun.
                Generally speaking, the people I hear say that have poorly put together systems/components or they aren't truly interested in the maintenance that goes along with higher performance. The vast majority of those I have heard say they wished they had stayed shorter/smaller (including myself) say it in the context that the amount of lift for a given tire size should be minimized by hacking the crap out of the body. This has the effect of keeping the center of gravity lower and generally makes a rig more capable of handling off camber and climbing obstacles. I hear very few (never?) people that spend thousands of dollars to build their rigs say they regret doing it, if for no other reason than egos... Although a few have run into money trouble and sold the whole mess.

I aint never heard of too much fun, and I haven't had it yet since I installed my lockers... ?? Some folks need em, some don't...

I plan on building up my rig but I honestly don't know if I'll ever get extreme enough to do JV, or some of the really hard stuff. I want to keep some of the challenge by being open unless I absolutely need it.
                That's what I said... since I decided after I had built my rig around 33s and mild wheeling, it cost a lot more in the end. And thankfully, JV is not for everyone

I'd like to be able to do all the tough stuff in Big Bear, and some places, but the 99% chance of body damage/roll places aren't for all of us. I know I could put a full cage, and not have to worry (as much) but I just wouldn't see that as fun. Does that help you understand that philosophy a little bit for you?
                I ran with LSD's front and rear over pretty much *everything* in So Cal, the Rubicon, twice through Moab (including Pritchett Canyon minus Rocker Knocker), and never had too much problem. I did break a front axle shaft (stock) eventually, but I don't attribute that to not having a locker. If nothing else, the weak CJ stock 30 shafts and UJ's probably lasted longer without a locker. I think it all comes back to the cardinal rule of Heep - decide what you want it to do first, then start building it to do what you want. I now have ARB's in a Scout D44 housing with alloy shafts.

And finally, I recommend a full cage to anyone running on any trail where the possibility of rolling exists, which includes a myriad of trails (virtually all trails in So Cal) and anything not resembling a dirt road. To do otherwise is irresponsible. It can happen easier than you might think

Rick
                1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Originally posted by rick View Post
                  And finally, I recommend a full cage to anyone running on any trail where the possibility of rolling exists, which includes a myriad of trails (virtually all trails in So Cal) and anything not resembling a dirt road. To do otherwise is irresponsible. It can happen easier than you might think

Rick
                  Thank you for that well thought out rebuttal! I was just trying to explain why I think that way, while I'm new to the game, I don't think I want to spoil the fun and jump trail difficulties too quickly.

I want to do a cage eventually, but would prefer a weld-in because of their strength. I don't weld (and don't have a garage to work on the Jeep in for the time being). I'm waiting to become buddies with somebody that welds!

Comment

I want to do a cage eventually, but would prefer a weld-in because of their strength. I don't weld (and don't have a garage to work on the Jeep in for the time being). I'm waiting to become buddies with somebody that welds!
                    Hey Buddy!
                    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
                      Hey Buddy!
                      Sweet... Haha, Tammy already solicited your help to weld on some control arm skids for me. I just need to purchase the beer and pizza... and of course, the control arm skids! I'm not sure which ones I want to get, because (at least for now) I'm going to be keeping my stock arms. I've heard one of them (don't remember which) don't work with the stock arms. I have rear adjustable uppers on the way for my SYE (coming tomorrow) but that's it for now. A Kilby gas skid is in the works too, just as soon as 4west gets them in. I guess their Kilby stuff is backordered, but they have ordered 4 and my name is on one of them!

I doubt I'll be able to do much before next year, since it's only 9 weeks until our wedding and in between we've got Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years... it's going to go fast!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
                        Hey Buddy!
                        Hey buddy...

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Working...
                        X