Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just So We Can Have Some Discussion...

i was talking to this other XJ owner i met that lives next to my cousin and i was telling him that eventually i want ARBs front and rear and he said why do ARBs? the ECTED ones are better, when theyre unlocked theyre Limited Slips and when ARBs are unlocked theyre just open. Anyone have anything to input to that? Any trouble with either the ARB or the ECTED gears?
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

I have ARBs front and rear, sometimes its nice to just be "open". I dont use my lockers unless I really need them.

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Interesting topic....glad you asked. Looking for answers myself. Learning about ox lockers, which are cable actuated, versus a Detroit or Lockright, which only engage when one wheel spins more than then other. Or possibly a EZ locker for the front diff, which only engages when power is placed to the front wheels and one is moving faster than the other.
      Thanks for asking. Hopefully we can learn from others here....or maybe there is a link they have that would be helpful.
      "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
      (Charles Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob
        Interesting topic....glad you asked. Looking for answers myself. Learning about ox lockers, which are cable actuated, versus a Detroit or Lockright, which only engage when one wheel spins more than then other. Or possibly a EZ locker for the front diff, which only engages when power is placed to the front wheels and one is moving faster than the other.
        Thanks for asking. Hopefully we can learn from others here....or maybe there is a link they have that would be helpful.
        Hahah i figured you would say "we dont ned no stinkin lockers! Wasent that the motto at the Big Bear Noob Run? haha yeah seemed like a good topic, i thought about it on my way to class today.
        Originally posted by JeepGal
        I have ARBs front and rear, sometimes its nice to just be "open". I dont use my lockers unless I really need them. Tam
        I know what you mean i like being unlocked, i want to stay that way for a while until i get a 9 inch and an HP 60 for the front.
        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

The more junk thats in your axles, the more chances it has to fail. ARB's work and work well. Who needs a limited slip any way? Just one more part to fail and need rebuilding.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Have you been in the snow or mud on a hill side? tried to drive on it sideways. With a locker or limited slip your back pushs you down to to the bottom. The frontend can not pull you straight. But if you have a open rear diff. The front being locked you can steer your way out. The front end pulls you.

ARB's give you the best of both worlds.
            [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
            In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

ARB is a great concept but I have to say that I have been wheelin' with so many Jeepers who complain that their ARB's aren't working: valves, o rings, hoses, solenoids, switches, god knows what else.
              "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

i have arb front and rear, and have had pretty good luck with them.

before the arb's i had a lockright in the front, which i broke 2 of, and a no slip in the back, which i broke making a u turn on the street.

having the ability to havit my rig locked or open at the flip of a switch has been great, and something i would really miss if i had to give it up.
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by D4x4Fish
                  Have you been in the snow or mud on a hill side? tried to drive on it sideways. With a locker or limited slip your back pushs you down to to the bottom. The frontend can not pull you straight. But if you have a open rear diff. The front being locked you can steer your way out. The front end pulls you.

ARB's give you the best of both worlds.
                  Yeah i how it is, i was wondering about how a limited slip would be like in the snow. Since i live in Running Springs, Driving in the snow is a big deal. I also have always liked the idea of ARBs they seem to be the way to go.
                  Last edited by swbooking; 10-24-06, 09:13 PM.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by aston
                    ARB is a great concept but I have to say that I have been wheelin' with so many Jeepers who complain that their ARB's aren't working: valves, o rings, hoses, solenoids, switches, god knows what else.
                    You must be wheeling with the wrong people.
                    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Yeah the only thing i ever though would be bad would be snaging the lines on the ARB but i figure if you run all the lines nicely and take your time with it, you shouldnt have a problem, and as for the electrical, im sure its not hard to wire a switch properly, ive done that hundreds of times and im just a kid. And everything eventually craps out, its the way things work...

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

aston, What do you run in your rig? Would you recommend what your running?
                        BTW, still trying to figure out your avatar....slipping on a banana?
                        "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                        (Charles Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob
                          aston, What do you run in your rig? Would you recommend what your running?
                          BTW, still trying to figure out your avatar....slipping on a banana?
                          I think hes just a fan of the bannana, if you know what i mean...

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

I'm saving for ARBs when I do my axle swap next year... I like the idea of being open 99% of the time, and having the lockers if I need them! I'll probably try to do everything I can unlocked, but if I can't do it unlocked, at least nobody needs to get a strap out!
                            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy
                              I'm saving for ARBs when I do my axle swap next year... I like the idea of being open 99% of the time, and having the lockers if I need them! I'll probably try to do everything I can unlocked, but if I can't do it unlocked, at least nobody needs to get a strap out!
                              Thats my plan. im gonna try and run open for a long while till i do my axle swaps. and then im going to have ARBs.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X