Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting. I had a horrible grinding noise coming from the drivetrain area after my transmission was rebuilt and they tried to tell me it was my rear end. Somehow I did not believe them. I Disconnected the driveshaft, turned the wheels, no noise. It was a bearing in the transmission they had 'rebuilt'.
    It just proved to me to test everything yourself just to be sure that what your being told is true. At least as far as you can.
    "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
    (Charles Wells)

Comment

Hold it, Stop the press, i might have a thory here, has she ever had the tranny flushed or has she checked the condition of the fluid. because I just remember something.. I had this happen in the company vehicle a few months back.. I would go around a corner too fast or sharp then immedietly get on it and it wouldn't go and when it did it would engage and chirp the tires. So i had the tranny flushed because i noticed the fluid was extrememly low. So before you go and have someone tear down tht tranny for who know's how much. Have the level and condition checked or flushed.

Comment

Well its not like every tranny shop is just gonna pull it off and rebuild it if they dont know what it is, thats why the diagnois it first then tell you if its the tranny internals, fluid, etc... Trust me no one wants to do a job for nothing especially if its a busy shop.
        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

I just hope u don't get ripped off, cause i know some ppl will just wanna rebuild it for the money.

Comment

New Information

As it turns out, it is not a gearing problem after all. My friend had a 4 inch lift installled on her Jeep Wrangler with an auto transmission and has had serious trouble with her shifting to Low gearing ever since.

She let me dive it when it was having problems, from the experience I learned that on the trail it gives her problems, but on flat solid ground she can get it in gear easier. The handle doesn't "click" into place like it should. I had to move it around several times before it solidly locked into 4-wheel High. I never could get it to stay in Low. It kept popping back out.

She had the work done at White Motorsports (not knocking them, just saying) and they don't seem to be finding the solution. Has anyone had any similar issues before? I might want to get that tranny shop's number from you afterall, Allen.
            Last edited by Mike; 11-13-06, 01:15 PM. Reason: Accidental Post
            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
            [/COLOR]

Comment

FYI- yes tc's can fail and cause odd situations pending on the design of the trans. ford E4OD and A4OD's cause studdering, noise and slippage in my experiences, and 4L80E chev. likes to slip free randomly. 700R4 chev. apparently makes odd noises in some cases too.

Ams-Oil may assist in your situation. They have a product line (ATF) that is intended for drag racing, but would play into towing and off road very well. The product boasts slippage reduction and head dispersion above and beond competitors.

May I also suggest looking into a higher quality tc. Ask your local trans professional for recomendations on towing and off road units designed for the situation.

Another concideration... does B&M or another Co. offer high volume baffled pans for said jeep? Angles could cause the fluid to travel to one side or the other in the pan. The back of the pan may be an area the pump or pickup tube can't reach. (For those who might not know)... Baffled tanks, ie- tanker trucks, tank trailers, Fire apparatus, oil trucks, milk trucks... all have baffles or walls internal to the container. Usually intended to prevent "sloshing" from occuring while taking off or stopping on the road. Baffled trans and engine pans stop all liquids from traveling away from pickup points, decreasing the risk of loss in line pressure and loss of lubrication. This application is common in drag racing where extreme G-Force can cause these situations... there's my 2 nickles worth.

Comment

I had the same problem with not being able to get into low and staying there. You have to mess with the linkage, and or, sometimes trim the plastic in the consol so it will drop into and stay in low.
                Dan

Comment

Working...
                X