Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-County Gear in Pomona built it for me, IIRC it started out life under a Ford.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by poultry411 View Post
      yjwonderboy- think we're in the same boat. Old fart- is there any upgrades to the d30 you ran (or can suggest)? what where you running for a rear at the time?
      If I was to do it all over again, I would not spend a bunch on cash on the D30. That having been said there's lots you can do.

Chromalloy 4340 axle shafts (Warn, superior...etc) I would stick with the stock spline count 'cos normally it's not the splined end that breaks, it's the yokes and U/Js. U/Js: CTM or the new Yukon super joint. I know this gear is expensive but if you wheel hard you will buy it eventually.

Throw away the vacuum motor thing.

Cover guard.

New U bolts - bigger and baader, I think mine are 5/8"

I have never been a fan of hub locks.
      "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

not to hijack or anything but I too am in the process of doing reesearch for a front axle swap. Is there NO WAY at ALL to convert a D44 to a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern??
        YJ Master
        Writer for Petersen's 4Wheel and Offroad Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by aston View Post
          If I was to do it all over again, I would not spend a bunch on cash on the D30. That having been said there's lots you can do.
          What would you do in place of your d30?

Comment

Originally posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
            not to hijack or anything but I too am in the process of doing reesearch for a front axle swap. Is there NO WAY at ALL to convert a D44 to a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern??
            There is always a way. My *cough* dana 44 *cough* is 5 on 4.5".....just like all the other rubicons that rolled off the assembly line.
            olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by poultry411 View Post
              What would you do in place of your d30?
              Generally the options are: D44, Ford 9" or D60

I would most likely opt for the 9" or some hybrid: 9" w/D44 outers.

Some people have the skills (and the time) to pick up an axle for $300 and turn it into a monster, I do not. I would most likely go to Currie and plunk down some cash.

If you add up all the piece parts required to rebuild an axle, add gears, lockers etc....the price is not so far off Currie.
              "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Lol, I'll probably jsut save up the dough and go with a Currie front and rear 44....that way a trained monkey could put them ont he Jeep.
                WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
                [_____]
                (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                []--o---[]

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                  Tri-County Gear in Pomona built it for me, IIRC it started out life under a Ford.
                  if you dont mind me asking, how much did the built dana 60 cost you? and was it a direct bolt in after you got it?
                  [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by aston View Post
                    Generally the options are: D44, Ford 9" or D60

I would most likely opt for the 9" or some hybrid: 9" w/D44 outers.
                    Excuse my ignorance, but I thought the 9" was a rear only member?

Comment

the 9 inch is originally a rear end axle only but you can mod them to be a front axle also. like curries. My buddy has for 9 inch F/R made by currie real nice stuff
                      [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
                        if you dont mind me asking, how much did the built dana 60 cost you? and was it a direct bolt in after you got it?

IIRC, about $1500 in 1999 money. That included installation.
                        Jeff
                        OHV76V
                        KG6TY

Comment

DANA44 for YJ

I have 95' yj and I replace with dana 44 front & rear out of 86' grand wagoneer and front & rear leafspring out of chevy- blazer at junk yard, total I spend about $ 475. IT WORK!!

Comment

And that's the way it should be!
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by youngkim View Post
                              I have 95' yj and I replace with dana 44 front & rear out of 86' grand wagoneer and front & rear leafspring out of chevy- blazer at junk yard, total I spend about $ 475. IT WORK!!
                              Iterrogative: did you have to narrow those axles at all or are they a direct bolt in? Jeff?
                              [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                              Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

IIRC, late 80's Waggy axles should be almost the right width. Don't have any of my axle swap stuff on the work laptop. Kim probably stayed 6 bolt on the wheels, another popular choice.
                                Jeff
                                OHV76V
                                KG6TY

Comment

Working...
                                X