Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 44's

How the heck would you put a dana 44 as the front axle on a YJ? I heard from somebody that it can't be done...
    WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
    [_____]
    (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
    []--o---[]

Originally posted by YJwonderboy
    How the heck would you put a dana 44 as the front axle on a YJ? I heard from somebody that it can't be done...
    Here, check this . There are a lot of write ups about this swap, probably better ones... fact of the matter is, it's a good swap that I'm hoping to do in the wife's YJ.

You need to go kick your friend in the junk.
    Last edited by USMC 0369; 10-19-06, 10:48 AM.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Even they said that it couldn't be done.

If you want to do both front and rear then forget the above options because you won't find a Dana44 front end with a YJ (5 on 4.5") lug pattern. The YJ pattern is too small to fit Dana 44 hubs.
      WTF Mate?

______
      [_____]
      (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
      []--o---[]

Comment

Originally posted by YJwonderboy
        Even they said that it couldn't be done.
        In that article the guy was swapping both F&R axles. What they were referring to was taking both F&R axles off one vehicle. this is convenient because the gearing ould be the same and you wouldnt have to match them yourself. If you continue to read the write up, it will tell you how to do it, but I'll look for a better article for ya... that one may be a bit confusing. The author doesn't write very well...

This page has three different articles on putting new axles under your Wrangler, they mostly swap both axles (as the D35c is a bigger problem than your D30 front) but do cover swapping the front out for a D44.

Sorry if I [or the article] confused you. Also, I think Erik (Nailer341) did this swap to his YJ. I'll edit this again if I find more info.

Erik has also posted up a helpful list of what axles came in different year Jeeps to help with searching for a donor, or you could buy a whole alxe from aftermarket. Nailer's list is here: http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312
        Last edited by USMC 0369; 10-19-06, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Desert_Valdez
          Erik has also posted up a helpful list of what axles came in different year Jeeps to help with searching for a donor, or you could buy a whole alxe from aftermarket. Nailer's list is here: http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312
          Wow....what a wealth of information! Thanks Nick for posting it up and Erik for all that imput!!!. Just when I was feeling down about trying to obtain info on my 2005 TJ. No shop manuals from Chilton on my year. It looks like they have not changed anyway in the last several years.
          I guess this latest incident put me over the top for while. (Bent output shaft in the transfer case) I need to duck when I walk past Joy these days....she's goin to deck me for sure.
          Going to upgrade the output shaft and find some kind of ez locker for the front and maybe a lockright powertrax for the back. Not sure yet.

In hiding,
          Bob
          "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
          (Charles Wells)

Comment

Is the front Dana 30 a decent axle? I haven't heard too many complaints about them on the forum...just the rear 35c
            WTF Mate?

______
            [_____]
            (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
            []--o---[]

Comment

YJ front 30 is high pinion - I ran mine all the way up to 35's. One solution for you that would work well - get both Dana 44 axles from a donor vehicle like a Waggy. They'll be 6 lug - pick up some 6 lug rims and you're done. Lots of 6 lug stuff out there.

My Dana 44 is a true bastich child. Jeep J-10 housing, Scout knuckles and hubs, CJ-7 rotors, Warn lockouts (marked I-H), and Ford brakes
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY
              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Keep in mind that a Waggy 44 front is a low pinion axle, which is not exactly desireable. Correct me if Im wrong Old Fart. Ive heard that the HP 30s can be beefed up to be as strong as the LP 44 because of the reverse cut or something like that. It also seems that removing the driver side spring perch and mounting a new one is a bit difficult because it is actually attached to the pumpkin(agian correct me if Im wrong). I have access to many waggy front 44s but havent taken one because I thought it wasnt much of an improvement.
                I have a Jeep

Comment

So...explain to me...what's high pinion and low pinion?
                  WTF Mate?

______
                  [_____]
                  (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                  []--o---[]

Comment

High and low pinion refers to the location on the axle where the pinion gear is located. The driveshaft attaches to the pinion through a u-joint and yoke. Look at a YJ front axle, the driveshaft meets the housing at a point higher than the horizontal centerline of the housing. Then look at the rear. The rear driveshaft enters below the center line.

A high pinion is desirable for two reasons:

1 - Better driveline angles.
                    2 - On a low-pinion front axle, the pressue is placed on the coast side of the gear, which is the weaker side. On a high-pinion front axle, the pressure is placed on the drive side of the gear. For most uses a low-pinion design is fine, but high-pinion, reverse cut is stronger.
                    The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Comment

HP is stronger, but I was more than happy to trade off for LP and get real hubs, real brakes, and a bigger overall R&P.

Perch isn't a big issue - I did mine in the garage.
                      Jeff
                      OHV76V
                      KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGp
                        High and low pinion refers to the location on the axle where the pinion gear is located. The driveshaft attaches to the pinion through a u-joint and yoke. Look at a YJ front axle, the driveshaft meets the housing at a point higher than the horizontal centerline of the housing. Then look at the rear. The rear driveshaft enters below the center line.

A high pinion is desirable for two reasons:

1 - Better driveline angles.
                        2 - On a low-pinion front axle, the pressue is placed on the coast side of the gear, which is the weaker side. On a high-pinion front axle, the pressure is placed on the drive side of the gear. For most uses a low-pinion design is fine, but high-pinion, reverse cut is stronger.
                        Also Wonderboy, if you're wondering what the "drive side" & "coast side" are... Yukon has this handy guide to changing R&P and explains these things pretty well... you'll need adobe acrobat reader for this.

http://www.ringpinion.com/downloads/yukoninstman.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                          YJ front 30 is high pinion - I ran mine all the way up to 35's. One solution for you that would work well - get both Dana 44 axles from a donor vehicle like a Waggy. They'll be 6 lug - pick up some 6 lug rims and you're done. Lots of 6 lug stuff out there.
                          yjwonderboy- think we're in the same boat. Old fart- is there any upgrades to the d30 you ran (or can suggest)? what where you running for a rear at the time?

Comment

My D30 stayed bone stock with the exception of 4.10's and an ARB.
                            Rear was (is still) a Dana 60 with Detroit. I also have 2WD Low range in the NP-231, which meant the front didn't need to be engaged all that often.
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY

Comment

where did you source your D60 from?

Comment

Working...
                              X