Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowtie powered CJ-7

Well I picked up this super clean low mileage 1985 CJ-7 from Craigs List last weekend and the engine was already removed. It had a 4-popper in it originally that was carbureted. The suspension has been lifted 3" and there are 15x8 steelies with 32" BFG A/T's under it. The axles have 4.11 gears and the front D30 contains a Tru-Track. The rear AMC 20 is loaded with a Detroit Locker. The seller gave me a 2.5L Fuel injected engine, complete wiring harness & computer out of a 97-02 TJ including motor mount brackets for the install. I wanted more power having driven a 4 cyl YJ with 35's for several years in the past. I decided to part my 91 suburban out and put the 4 bolt main 350 V8 FI mill in the CJ. This conversion will be entirely CA smog legal as it meets all of the requirements to obtain a CARB BAR sticker. This CJ will have On board air if I don't add a functional A/C as I already have 90% of the under dash equipment & hoses to install A/C. Basic guidelines for an engine swap in CA:

1. The engine's age is = to or NEWER than the vehicle.

2. The emissions equipment from the newer engine will be retained.

3. The ECU diagnostics port will be accessable by smog technicians.

4. The check engine lamp will be fully functional.

5. All timing or management settings will be of the newer engine.

The donor vehicle smog equipment as per the sticker on the air cleaner for CA emissions lists as follows:

PCV, EGR, EVAP, O2, 2WAY CATALYST, EFI, OBD1.

By using a late model Fuel Injected engine, I am able to get away without having to have air injection or thermostatic air cleaner assembly that the original 4 cyl or 6 cyl AMC's had. I am also able to retain the Fuel Fill-Pipe Lead Restrictor (you can't even buy leaded gas anywhere except maybe mexico) and the existing fuel lines with return.
    I should have plenty of Zoot-in-my-scoot with this 275 HP 330 Lb Ft torque V8 and get great mileage since the CJ-7 weight is next to nothing compared to that 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban. For those who are interested, I will keep you posted on the conversion. BTW, this is not my first Fuel Injection or Diesel engine conversion in Jeeps or other vehicles. I will have stock late model CJ-7 parts available that will not be useable with my conversion including the manual transmission and parts to a late model 2.5L that won't be used. I also have lots of 89-91 suburban 4x4 body & mechanical parts. Contact me with your needs.....

Rick OllllllO
    " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
    Rick W6RE

Man!,

You suck!

Sweat deal. What transmission/Transfer case are you going to use?

Keep us posted
    [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
    In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Rick

Do you have a tranny for that 4 cyl? That is the 2.4 right?
      1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

I have a trans out of my 89 yj sittin on the floor. AX-5? i believe?? it was a 2.5 l4 with a 5spd. Be glad to part with it
        The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Great to hear from you both Dan & Ron!
          I have what I believe to be the original manual transmission in the CJ-7. It had the 4 banger and is complete less flywheel and clutch. It had a hydraulic clutch so it would need adapters for any early manual linkage clutch CJ's in order to fit them. It was working fine according to the previous owner who pulled the motor to rebuild it but a new house robbed his toy fund so he sold everything off.
          I am going to try to run the original Dana 300 Transfer case and mate it to the 3L80/THM-400 I have. If it requires the transmission output shaft to be swapped, I will. Otherwise I have the HD NV-241C passenger drop TC that was mated to the 3L80 out of the Suburban as plan "B". Id like to retain the D-300 though because I want to Twin-Stick it. It's also possible to 4:1 Lo-Max gear it vs. the lack of options on the chain driven TC.

Rick OllllllO
          Last edited by RangerRick; 10-22-06, 01:06 PM.
          " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
          Rick W6RE

Comment

My oringinal swap to my 81 CJ-7 had the 2.5 Iron duke 4 banger with the SR4 tranny. for the 350 swap all i needed was a 153 tooth flywheel, new clutch, motor mount kit and larger jeep radiator set up for the chevy. The SR4 held together for about 8 years after I started thrashing it! It was used mostly in the mud not the rocks at all. I now run a 350-th350-d300 in my wrangler with full with axles out of a blazer.
            75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

Comment

Working...
            X