Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 35 differences.

I was asked this question [on another board] and I wasn't sure of the answer, so I thought I'd ask here and get the big brains working on it.

"...was just wondering if you knew anything about the difference in Dana 35 C-Clip spider [gears] between 1987-1993 and 1993-1995 (and newer)...I get different part numbers between the two online."

someone mentioned there is a difference in the diameter of the journals (?) between these year axles. But I could have sworn that when I blew out my spiders at Calico this year, CJDirtbiker gave me a set of spiders out of his TJ and they work just fine. So I'm a lil confused on this subject as well.

Help fix my brains.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

87-89 had non c clip d35's. After that they should all be the same.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
      87-89 had non c clip d35's. After that they should all be the same.
      Ummmm. :confused2

The part #'s I pulled up for spider gears online; has the same part # for 1993 (1993.5 really) and up, and another part # for D35c.

But the non C-clipped version should use a different gear right? I agree that if it's C-clipped then you should be able to swap out the spider gears no-problem. I guess they just made a new part # for some reason (:dunno?

Okay, just spoke to the guys at Driveline.com on the phone. Apparently there was a change in the size of the hubs (where I don't know) and the addition of ABS. Neither of which makes the actual spider gears any different. The non C-clipped D35 does use a different spider gear as it doesn't allow for the extra length of shaft needed to actually slip the clip over.

Mystery solved as far as I'm concerned. As long as it's a D35c (note the little 'c' there) the spider gears should work. If anyone can dispell this finding, PLEASE correct me as I wouldn't want to be passing the bum scoop.
      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

In 93 they introduced ABS brakes, and the internal dimension of the carrier and gears was changed. You can interchange a loaded carrier from later years for an earlier one, but you cannot interchange the gears by themselves.

I hope this helps.
        Pfeiffer Performance
        www.pfeifferperformance.com

Comment

Working...
        X