Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• detroit locker releasing

Anyone remember me looseing my wheel after the BB run....the left rear axle skid on the pavement until I stopped. After putting the jeep on stands and turning the wheels (by hand) in netural and in drive, the locker (detroit full) will not engage in the forward direction. After I stop the wheel from turning (by hand) and turn it in reverse, it will stay engaged and both tires will turn in the same direction. Is the locker shot? I removed the diff cover and there were no metal chips filings or anything looking like a problem. Gear oil was good with no metal flake. Why is the locker not engaging? Any suggestions? This is a Super 35 rearend, which has been working alright for me. If the fix is simple-$200-$300 I'll go that route, but if I need a whole new locker (plus the misc stuff that still needs fixing....brakes etc..) I'll probablly put out the money and up grade to that D 60 I've been eyeballing. I have two sets of 30 spline D 35 axlesI could sell to offset the price......so with that being said, can anyone tell me why the locker is not engaging?
    1997 TJ hp44/hp60-a lot of goodies

Try spinning the rear tires by turning the rear drive shaft, not the tires and see how it acts...
    That's a BIG rock!

Comment

in your instructions that came with the locker, there is a maintenece brouchere that shows the correct way to check the locker, it takes 2 people
      one on either tire

the other method, Highly recomended by us in the know, is to go out at 3 in the morning, drive up on that neighbors yard you hate, the one with the perfect lawn that yells at every kid in the block. anyway set up on his lawn for max travel, rev the engine and drop the cluth, then go home. nrxt morning about 8 am, put the dog on a leash and meander down past his house, as you are giving him heart felt condolenses on how the 2 long burnout tracks destroyed his yard and threw torn up grass and dirt all over his wifes caddy, admire the fact that you locker is working, both divits are the same.
      Last edited by blackZZR; 09-17-06, 04:58 AM.
      censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Bachman
        Try spinning the rear tires by turning the rear drive shaft, not the tires and see how it acts...
        I tried this, this morning....both start turning in the same direction but are not engaged as you can stop one side by hand and the other keeps going.

Comment

[QUOTE=blackZZR]in your instructions that came with the locker, there is a maintenece brouchere that shows the correct way to check the locker, it takes 2 people
          one on either tire

I could only find directions on the NoSpin locker, so I don't know if the same principals apply. It says to check it with with the trans in drive. When doing so, the person holding the one side still, that tire does not spin and you hear a clinking (indexing). If the other person stops the forward spin and then spins in reverse, you hear the locker unmistakenly lock up and both tires will turn, meaning the person trying to hold the tire still is unable to. This doesn't sound (or feel) that the locker is working properly to me....does it to you?

Comment

sam. are we talking a detroit locker? nospin, soflocker, different names for basicly the same thing
            I thought you had told me you had a locker when we ran together. anyway when you got the super 35 kit did you get the locker with it?
            detroits limited slip is the truetrac
            oh, they also have a locker called the easy locker it is a lunch box and completely different.
            but soflocker, that is just a fancy name for the improved no spin
            but the auto locker they sell, in a dana axle I beleive is called a no spin, infact the model for the D35 is called a C Locker, it is still a nospin so the instructions will work
            Last edited by blackZZR; 09-17-06, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Jim, it's the detroit full locker. Not the tru trac, limited slip or the NoSlip which is more like a spool. I couldn't find installation instructions or an exploded view on a yahoo search. The locker just doesn't seem right. At this point, I have nothing to lose by removing it and checking it out but need the instructions to make sure I take it out correctly, take it apart correctly and reassemble it correctly.

Comment

ok. then we are talking apple to apples
                I can look around, but I do not think I have the instructions
                I think the hardest part is setting the backlash when reassembling
                It may be worth the call, Call 4 west, ask for Paul. talk to him, tell him your problem, he is very knowledgable and would probaly know how to test it off the top of his head. They are a good shop and deal with detriots a lot, they actually recomend them. It is worth the shot
                you know this is a bit of a bummer in timing, I am organizeing a campout and trip to Anza Borrego next month, was going to send you a shout
                ah, check it out, www.adventure4x4.net, under borrego fest

Comment

I'll check tonight for a copy of the paper work that came with my Detroit. I usually am such the pack rat that I probably still have it.

Comment

http://www.midvaal.bcentralhost.com/Tractech.htm

Try this site. It has PDFs you might be able to use.
                    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Jason
                      I'll check tonight for a copy of the paper work that came with my Detroit. I usually am such the pack rat that I probably still have it.
                      Thanks Jason, I still can't find my particular application

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol
                        http://www.midvaal.bcentralhost.com/Tractech.htm

Try this site. It has PDFs you might be able to use.
                        Thanks Rat, but I didn't find my specific locker, unless I missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR
                          ok. then we are talking apple to apples
                          I can look around, but I do not think I have the instructions
                          I think the hardest part is setting the backlash when reassembling
                          It may be worth the call, Call 4 west, ask for Paul. talk to him, tell him your problem, he is very knowledgable and would probaly know how to test it off the top of his head. They are a good shop and deal with detriots a lot, they actually recomend them. It is worth the shot
                          you know this is a bit of a bummer in timing, I am organizeing a campout and trip to Anza Borrego next month, was going to send you a shout
                          ah, check it out, www.adventure4x4.net, under borrego fest
                          Still keep me in mind.....if I can get it fixed in time, I'm there. It sounds as it may be a good run to check out the fix if I can get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by sam 15
                            Still keep me in mind.....if I can get it fixed in time, I'm there. It sounds as it may be a good run to check out the fix if I can get it done.
                            You know, I remember reading about this somewhere else. I guess I forgot the first question to be asked. Did the wheels spin like this before the wheel came off?
                            I read about that diff being torque sensative. You might not be putting enough force on the wheels. Maybe the "Burn out in your neighbors grass" idea might be the thing to do...
                            Rat
                            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol
                              You know, I remember reading about this somewhere else. I guess I forgot the first question to be asked. Did the wheels spin like this before the wheel came off?
                              I read about that diff being torque sensative. You might not be putting enough force on the wheels. Maybe the "Burn out in your neighbors grass" idea might be the thing to do...
                              Rat
                              When I picked up the jeep from the shop that did the gear install, I put the rear on jackstands and turned the tires to make sure they turned in the same direction. I remember feeling the locker lock up while spining the tires forward, much like the way the locker locks up while turning the tires to the rear, the lock up is unmistakeable. Now the front spin will just ratchet when the other side is being held by another person. If anyone knows any Detroit locker guru in the Palm Desert area please let me know. I don't have much confidence in most of the shops around here including the shop that did the original install (long story behind that).

Comment

Working...
                              X