Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Axels?

Hey guys I just recently became a very excited member to the jeeper comunity. I just got a 2002 Sahara TJ. Im not sure what axles I got..are they 30 and 35s in the rear or what? Could you guys help me out?

If they are that i have heard that the 35s are POS's? Am i going to have problems?

Also whats it normal run to swap them for dana 44s with lockers and all that jazz?

Like I said im new to all this and trying to learn so all the help I can get would be greatly helpful!

Thank You
    Cody
    Just trying to get to Cali!

Cody,

Drop out of warp, you need to determine what you want to do with the jeep and what you think your maximum tire size is going to be _first_

D30 (front) and D35(rear) can be a POS, can be a legitimate axle - all depends on your "mission statement"

How much it costs to swap for bigger axles, lockers will depend on the answers above too. I can tell you that putting a Dana 60/Detroit in the back of my YJ was $2K (in 1999 money) and a Dana 44/Lockrite was about $1500 (in 2002 money), but that wouldn't be a good "go-by", as I did much of the work myself.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

oh lol im outta warp man...i was just wondering..i dont plan to swap axles for a long while. Im looking into the RE 2" BB right now or Travelar said he has 1.5" spacers he would let me have for 50 bucks so I might just do that...so I can get some more articulation but save some money for the 4.5" RB SF lift that I really want...and I think im going to go with 33s im not sure yet though..thats all as money comes though

thanks for the info though

Comment

33's will require a gear swap (definate) if you have a 5 speed, might get by without with a slushbox.

Cheap fix would be to find a wrecked TJ with the 4 banger and grab the axles, as most of those came with 4.10 gearing. 4.10's and 33's are a pretty good match. I ran 33x10.50 Swampers for a while on my YJ, not as "sexy" as a 33x12.50 - but a lot lighter.
        Jeff
        OHV76V
        KG6TY
        You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

what gears does mine come with? 3.73? how hard is it to change gears? and costly?

Comment

3.07 manual, 3.55 auto, or something like that
            1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Originally posted by Davisrats
              3.07 manual, 3.55 auto, or something like that
              there is no wheeling in reisterstown
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                there is no wheeling in reisterstown

????????

Comment

Originally posted by KNCJeeper
                  ????????
                  just yanking your chain. i hear all the time that there is no place to take a jeep off road in md.
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by KNCJeeper
                    what gears does mine come with? 3.73? how hard is it to change gears? and costly?
                    I also have a 02 Sahara, when I order it I ordered the Heavy Duty rear which upgraded to a D44, maybe you have one to. A quick way to chech is look at the fill plug in the cover, if it's a rubber plug type it's a 35, if it's a metal looking screw-in it's a 44. Looking at the picture you have the 30" wheel package as most Sahara's came with and 3.73 ratio, at least that's how mine came w/manual trans. There also should be a couple of tags on the diff., one tells you the ratio and the other will say to use an additive in the fluid for the limited slip.

B&T TJ

Comment

it is a automatic Black & Tan(lol by the way i love that name) man that would be cool if i have the 44s..i will try and check to see...wishful thinking

Comment

Working...
                      X