Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping In a New Engine

I'm not mechanically inclined. Here's a question for one of you pros. Once you've got your Jeep built up the way you like it, you know - lockers, custom roll bars, swing out tire carrier, on board air, and all the other killer items you buy when your wife is not looking - how expensive is it to drop a new engine in your rig once the engine itself needs replacing? Also, with a straight 6, assuming you love it and keep it serviced like you should, how many miles does an owner typically get out of them?

Since you say that you're not mechanically inclined I assume that a shop would be doing the conversion or maybe a buddy? Anyways it depends alot on the motor you choose. Just about any Chevy conversion is going to be cheaper than say almost anything else. But unless you are doing some wheelin' that you need high horespower/torque in I would say stick with what you got. I've done a Chevy 350 TBI swap into a CJ and my 4.3 swap into my current CJ. The only reason why I chose to do a swap to this one is that it had a very tired 4 cyl. and it wasn't worth trying to save. I'm guessing that if you had a shop do a conversion that you would look at probably at least 6-7K and that is just a guesstimate. I could see it easily runnning into the 10K+ range.

As far as longevity of your motor....as long as you're nice to it (oil changes religiously, tune ups) 150+ would be my expectations.

Comment

depends. your pretty vague in your question. do you want new NEW or new to you? im building a stroker for my jeep ground up. i am buying everything for it new and the only used parts are of course the head and block from a yard. right now im at 1400.00 in parts and i still have small things like my injectors, water pump, ign. stuff like that. the shop is gonna put the shortblock together for me and that'll be about 300.00. SO with that said, you can build yourself(buy yourself and have it built for you) 4.6 stroker motor with 265hp and over 300lb of torque for about 3000,00 in total parts and labor. not to bad... you can do cheaper if you put in a used oem motor with like 30k miles on it from a salvaged yard. i dont know what yr your rig is but used motors can go for about 1k. you can also buy a titan on ebay. its a completely rebuilt engine for about 1500.00. you'll just swap over all your accessories and drop it in.. good luck.
      1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Working...
      X