Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needs tranny help

Hello all.
    I have had a 21 year wait to finally get my first jeep.
    I bought a 1994 YJ Wrangler with the 4.0 L High Output and a 5 speed manual. I haven't had it but about a month and I am having some tranny trouble. I am pretty sure it is the syncronizers for 3rd gear that are the problem. It grinds going into 3rd, pretty much the jist of it. All other gears work fine except a little stiff going into 5th.
    This is a stock rig with about 60k on it and I am concerned about tranny problems at 60k even though it is 12 years old. So here is the delimma I have. I really don't have time to tear down and fix so I am considering trying to locate a used tranny and tear it down and replace anything that may be a problem in addition to all bearings and seals and the other small parts that would generally wear out. Continue to drive the thing until I get this done or it breaks down for good.
    Is this reasonable or am I just asking for trouble? This is a weekend toy and not primary transportation so if it goes down no biggie, but I want to drive not work. So I am wondering how long will it be before I get a major breakdown that will leave it immobile or will I simply loose 3rd gear?
    Any help, suggestions, or even laughing comments are appreciated.
    Dale

Your question is kinda like asking "if I drive on a flat tire at 15 mph for 2.7 miles, will the tire fall off the rim???" Nobody knows the condition of the components inside the transmission, but you clearly have a synchro gone on 3rd gear. If you want to make it last "longer", find some hi-po fancy gear oil by asking at a machine shop what the best protection for your particular transmission would be (many here use Pennzoil synchro-mesh for late model manuals). See this post. When the rear main bearing in my T-5 went out, I found a used trans for $150, spent another $150 on rebuild kit/parts, and put it all back together. I have 4:1 transfer case gears, and as such, now the rebuilt trans is making noise a year later. I use mine kinda hard, so I'm not all that surprised. Depending on how you use yours, it might go 10 miles, it might go 10,000 miles or more...
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

"it might go 10 miles, it might go 10,000 miles or more..."
      Thats about what I figured as far as how long it would last. I guess I am going to put in some good gear oil for now, and try to locate a used tranny that I can rebuld. In the meantime, I'll baby it into 3rd gear to try and save the gear as long as I can.
      Thanks for the reply.
      Dale

Comment

Working...
      X