Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crawl Ratio

I am considering getting an Atlas TC :tongue:

Now I have to decide which one, which leads to the question of what is the optimum crawl ratio?

I have a 4.0 YJ, on 35s, manual tranny and I like big juicy rocks.

The options include:

4:1 = 72
    5:1 = 90
    6:1 = 107

My initial reaction was 6:1 but is that the best for me?
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Originally posted by aston
    I am considering getting an Atlas TC :tongue:

Now I have to decide which one, which leads to the question of what is the optimum crawl ratio?

I have a 4.0 YJ, on 35s, manual tranny and I like big juicy rocks.

The options include:

4:1 = 72
    5:1 = 90
    6:1 = 107

My initial reaction was 6:1 but is that the best for me?
    You may want to check with Atlas availabilty on the lower 6:1. Some friends of mine ended up getting the big book of excuses and changed to the 5:1..tired of waiting

Me I'm still waiting for the Atlas 4 waiting 3 months now...........
    97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
    WEB site

Comment

Crawl Ratio

I have the NV4500--5.63(1st) Atlas ll---4.3(low) Gears 4:56=110:1
      Great for climbing boulders but too slow for the trail in most cases. I generally run around in 3rd gear on the trail.

Comment

Originally posted by TDS SD
        I have the NV4500--5.63(1st) Atlas ll---4.3(low) Gears 4:56=110:1
        Great for climbing boulders but too slow for the trail in most cases. I generally run around in 3rd gear on the trail.
        George did you mention your tire size? With the ones you have yes you crawl!
        97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
        WEB site

Comment

I also have an NV 4500, but with the lower first gear, 6.43/1. with 4.88 gears, I don't need to use low in the transfer case very often, only when I'm in the really nasty stuff. I have a 4/1 transfer case and when in low/low It's great for picking my way up the roughest trals like the Hammers. Otherwise I'm in four high.

Comment

IMO, once you are into the 100+:1 range, you are sacraficing alot on the non-technical trails (or portions of the trail) if you only have a 2 speed t'case. Even at 66:1, there are times that I wish I had something between 1:1 and 4:1 in the t'case. If I were in your shoes, I would look at the 3-speed cases. I have no idea what ratios are available (or if the cases are even holding up for that matter). Of course, I spend more time exploring unmaintained roads than I do rock crawling anymore.....
            olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Crawl Ratio

[QUOTE=goodtimes]IMO, once you are into the 100+:1 range, you are sacraficing alot on the non-technical trails (or portions of the trail)
              There is always 4 Hi and 2WD.
              Besides my ratio I posted earlier -my tire size is 33"

Comment

what about installing a KLUNE. Still have the best of both worlds.

That is if you have an addition 6" in lenth to give up.

My:2:
                [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
                In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Originally posted by TDS SD
                  There is always 4 Hi and 2WD.
                  Yes, and the t'case ratio for both 4 hi and 2hi is 1:1.....hence the statement "there are times that I wish I had something between 1:1 and 4:1 in the t'case...".
                  olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I have the 5.44:1 STaK 3 speed. I ran it for fairly hard for the first time this weekend. I I stayed in the super low range and ran in 3rd and 4th most of the time except for the larger obstacles. I really liked it. I have 4.56 gears and 35's and an AX-15. SO that would put my Crawl ratio at (3.83x4.56x5.44) = 95:1

I ran the regular low gear (3.05_ last time I went out on White mountain and found that I just liked the feel of the super low in 3rd and 4th rather that the regular low in 1st and 2nd. TH TC is still new for me so I am steeling feeling her out. Pretty happy so far, though.
                    Supe
                    97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
                    Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

Originally posted by TJSUPE
                      I have the 5.44:1 STaK 3 speed. I ran it for fairly hard for the first time this weekend. I I stayed in the super low range and ran in 3rd and 4th most of the time except for the larger obstacles. I really liked it. I have 4.56 gears and 35's and an AX-15. SO that would put my Crawl ratio at (3.83x4.56x5.44) = 95:1

I ran the regular low gear (3.05_ last time I went out on White mountain and found that I just liked the feel of the super low in 3rd and 4th rather that the regular low in 1st and 2nd. TH TC is still new for me so I am steeling feeling her out. Pretty happy so far, though.
                      I have started looking at the Stak. The flexibility is a big bonus. How much did it cost, if it's not a personal question? WHat else was required for a complete install?
                      "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Its a solid transfer case. The shifter are a PITA to install, but that may be similar to an Atlas, I have never installed one before. It takes up a lot of space. If you have a stock skid I think the install would be a lot easier, but I had goferit belly up. It has a 1" drop on the skid. I tried clocking it horizontal but ended up clocking it down just a bit. Had to do some cutting up of the floor board. I have had a small leak that I am trying to figure out. I have made a few calls to Stak and emailed some people that have installed it and it does not seem to be a typical problem. Check them out @ stak4x4.com They dropped their price a bit for the three speed. It took a good two and half months or so to deliver. That was back in may. Overall I really like the TC. Just a lot of messing around with it to get it tight.

Both driveshafts have to be modified. Since the speedo gear is not the gear driven kind as TJ's, you have to do some splicing of wires or attach a matching 3 pin connector to it.
                        Supe
                        97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
                        Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

you should try to run in 1st gear when possible. it's a much larger and stronger gear sprocket and usually the 1st and 5th gear sprockets have special cuts and heat treat to make them even stronger.
                          It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Working...
                          X