Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That dumb vacuum tubing!?!

hey everybody, im doing some work trying to get my 4 banger (1985 XJ) running and there is a whole heck of a lot of pipes tubes and wires as im sure that and other jeep from the 80's has also. Im wondering if there is a simple way to eliminate all this junk and keep it Smog leagal, because as of now its not registered and i will eventually it will be but i want to keep it simple for myself. advice is GREATLY appriciated!
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

If you want to keep the engine smog legal, then you need to retain all of the stuff that's on the motor. Auto maufacturers aren't usually in the practice of engineering a bunch of vacuum lines and hoses if they aren't serving a required purpose...

Comment

I would disagree about the manufacturer comment. I had a "Air Pump" on my CJ that was totally useless. I removed it will no ILL effects, in fact it was one less pump for the engine to turn.

Erik

Comment

really...well there is just so many tubes that lead to one thing there has got to be a simpler way. Ive got at least 5 tubes running to one filter thing and the top of it has a hose thats been cut....which makes no sense to me other than it must have been for the A/C which was removed but i dont know why they wouldnt get rid of the other junk that goes along with it. anyway i do need to keep it smog legal because im going to get a non op so i can fix it then ill have to get it smogged anyway.
        B R E T T
        87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Originally posted by Trailbst
          I would disagree about the manufacturer comment. I had a "Air Pump" on my CJ that was totally useless. I removed it will no ILL effects, in fact it was one less pump for the engine to turn.

Erik
          I would be very interested in knowing where you got your Jeep smogged with the air pump removed. By state law, they aren't even allowed to hook it up to the computer testing equipment if there are any parts of the emissions system missing. The shop that smogged your Jeep with the air pump removed is risking a huge fine, loss of license, and potential jail time if they are smogging vehicles with emissions parts removed...

Comment

Originally posted by PRegner I would be very interested in knowing where you got your Jeep smogged with the air pump removed. By state law, they aren't even allowed to hook it up to the computer testing equipment if there are any parts of the emissions system missing.
            trailbst is in PA.
            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Ahhhh......a realm with no Smog-Nazi's. I've heard tales of such places, but always thought they were just myths told among Wheelers while gathered around camp-fires at night...

Comment

Originally posted by PRegner
                Ahhhh......a realm with no Smog-Nazi's. I've heard tales of such places, but always thought they were just myths told among Wheelers while gathered around camp-fires at night...
                HAHAHAHA that's a good one! that sounds like t-shirt material! ... around Chicago (where my parents live) vehicles must be smogged but they smogg them for free! imagine that!
                :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Working...
                X